Australis delayed until March

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Pinga, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

2. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I want to say good, but it's only a delay and not because of the mentioned negative user feedback:
    BTW, perhaps this thread should be moved to Other Softwares & Services?

3. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

So, they built a simpler user interface that has worse performance than the current one? That doesn't sound very comforting... :ouch:

4. Orhin

Orhin Guest

Not only that, it looks like Chrome, kills the In-Browser-Customizations, puts that in add-on Developers hands so that Australis also works more similiar to Google Chrome and you get in the end same old Gecko without more advanced Youtube Codec Support, HTML5 and CSS3 Support.

Its then a Chrome similiar Browser or a so called "Browser Clone" which works way worse as compared the "Original" and which is quite dumbed down as compared to the former Firefox Versions.

What for a win-win situation! ;)

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

A reprieve for a while I believe. I may upgrade to Australis when it is released but I will almost certainly be using SeaMonkey far more than I do now. There are other browsers that will probably be in the running to replace Firefox for me. Maxthon & QupZilla are contenders. The latter has an excellent second GUI search bar with a context menu & also has an internal adblocker that is the best I've seen outside of ABP. I will miss that search bar in Australis & it limits what I would have normally used Firefox for. I dunno what Mozilla think that they are doing. o_O

6. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Its bad that they are restricting customization.

But the UI of australis looks good and modern too :) . Here is the interactive mockup for windows 8 version..
    http://people.mozilla.org/~shorland...e/australis-interactive-mockups/windows8.html

Not sure how much does it make to the final version and customization..

To the users who does not make much customization or more addons, australis should not be any problem i think...just my 2 cents

7. Orhin

Orhin Guest

If you are using touch devices and Windows 8, Australis makes sense. But for people who like advanced browser usage it is just cancer.

8. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Mozilla and Firefox got to where they are by listening to users and building a product that they wanted to use. Now they're acting like Microsoft and Google. "We will make it the way we want to and you will use it." They're obsessed with imitating competitors, market share, etc. Corporations focus on these things. Open Source doesn't, until now. It looks to me like they've been taken over and are under corporate control. They're little more than an extension of Google any more.

9. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I seriously don't understand this kind of policy... Firefox tries to bring the browser closer to what Chrome is; Opera tried to do the same. It was my impression that you don't outrun your competition by cloning their products, but by offering something better.

Also, I don't think they are under any corporate control, but they are becoming a corporation.

10. Orhin

Orhin Guest

There is for sure a certain amount of Control what Google is pushing over towards Mozilla, which impact their developement in some kind of way which benefits in the end their own marketshare. And additionally they do things like lately to make it impossible to watch youtube html5 1080p videos on Firefox for example they just do everything that more and more people see the reason to switch to Chrome.

Google is not satisfied until all competition is reduced only to a small piece of users. And they do for sure what is necessary. First, paying for having their search featured in Firefox/Opera, afterwards putting a little decent pressure to gain influence.... Mozilla just should break free of that downward spiral and search for another, more honest "partner".

11. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

The reason youtube's html5 1080P is not supported in Firefox is that youtube shifted to MSE (Media Source Extensions) which supports adaptive streaming right away (i.e., if you pause a video, it no longer downloads, saves bandwidth usage and helps in shifting to either higher/lower quality modes based on bandwidth availablity.

Firefox is planning to add this support by this year. Progress is on the way.

More info on this..
    http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2013/10/youtube-drops-support-for-1080p-streams.html
    http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2013/10/youtube-shows-if-your-browser-supports.html

Thanks,
    Harsha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.