Australian Police Can Now Hack Into You PC Without A Warrent

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by arran, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arran

arran Registered Member

2. FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan Registered Member

Re: Australian Polica Can Now Hack Into You PC Without A Warrent

Yikes! :(

3. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

This is actually old news, across EU there is a directive requiring all member states to keep identification data (IP, phone numbers, email address, etc.), but not content data. So, UK would be forced to comply too.
    As for hacking computers by the police, this is pretty lame. It would require that the user will actually have open ports/vulnerabilities/etc. that could be used to hack his/her computer. I highly doubt the police will start trying all kinds of exploits or hacking tools on people, cause this could have no result whatsoever (or even worse, tip the computer owner that something is wrong).

4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Good luck Mr Policeman ;)

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

On the contrary, do you realize just how easy it will be for them to hack systems? How many home computers in the world, let alone the U.K, have the proper security set up on them? If you say more than a relative handful, you're truly fooling yourself. Home systems, and, often, even more so, business computers, are ripe for picking. Otherwise, news reports, blogs, these forums and others like it, would not be filled to the brim with reports of new malware or cases of infection.

Now, I'll grant you that if this report of them deciding to hack into computers gets spread among the people, that might change, but don't expect it to radically change. There will always be the "they won't come after me"-types of people. In other words, these kinds of laws can be put into place and be effective so easily it's near laughable. These kinds of things should not be blown off, they can happen and they can do so in the blink of an eye. Countries dissolve overnight, so can your privacy and your actual rights.

6. Nebulus

I am well aware of how well protected personal and business computers are :). What I am trying to show you is that is very stupid for police to base investigation on something that might easily fail (and that is hacking computers which might have a form of protection).

To quote you, if you think you have any rights and privacy left, "you're truly fooling yourself".

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You're right, it can fail. However, they can just head over to your ISP who keeps logs (I don't know an ISP that doesn't retain data for at least 6 months). As far as rights and privacy goes, you have much more than you think you do. I've said this before, but I've had the "pleasure" of visiting other places in the world where there TRULY are no rights, and the thought of even 10% of the privacy most of us enjoy makes the citizens of those places drool, pray, and cry at the same time.

8. arran

arran Registered Member

SSH Tunnel encryption = ISP having NO logs.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You're relying on the government that wants to collect your data to allow you to use such a service, which is not something I would rely on. And besides, I've been through this before, all this tunneling crap does is make authorities, and, especially your ISP, look harder at you. You can hide where you surf from them, but they know you exist (you are their customer afterall), so don't be shocked when you get calls from them, and, possibly have your connection terminated.

Eventually that kind of software/services will be illegal, so, enjoy them while they last. Don't believe me? Criminals know about this software too of course, and they use it. Don't think for a split second that some official someplace up in Congress or in any other government, won't come up with the idea that these services hinder law enforcement/national security, and try to get them banned. And don't think that guy/lady won't get any support either.

10. arran

arran Registered Member

Why would it make them look harder at you? because they have thousands of customers, for them to look harder at you they would have to know that your using SSH in the first place. The only way that can happen is if the just happen to look at your traffic one day by Random chance.

How and why would they terminate your connection when they wouldn't have any "Evidence" to say you have been up to illegal activities?

I don't think it will become illegal any time soon. There would be to much opposition. Why do you think encryption software has not yet been outlawed?
    encryption on the internet is still needed for legit reasons like online banking etc and also a lot of Businesses need and use SSH tunnel.

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You're thinking of these things happening before we had as much trouble with terrorism, the escalated threats from Iran and North Korea, malware writers, phishers, and other security issues. During that time, no, it was not as necessary (barring the Iran/North Korean issue which has been going on for decades) to decrypt traffic, spy on even citizens, let alone foreigners, create data retention laws, and other things we have seen and will see more of.

The times have changed, and it's not just about Sept 11, though that kickstarted everything you see now and will see. Why would an ISP terminate your connection?....to comply with state/federal mandates requiring data retention. What do you think is happening in Sweden? Do you think everyone is connected to a VPN? No, because then ISPs can't comply with that country's new laws requiring data collection and retention.

Opposition won't be a problem, businesses that TRULY require encryption, will be exempt from public regulations, just as they have many times in the past. We're not talking fairness here, we're talking politics and corporate string-pulling. We have it good right now, us Western nations, but we won't have it good for much longer. We can either admit that it can, will, and is happening right in front of our eyes and try to slow it, or, we can continue arguing "Oh how would they? That's inefficient, it'll never happen! They couldn't because they have no evidence!"....and let every last one of our rights fly off into the sunset never to be seen again.

12. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Next runner up? United States of America! :shifty: :thumbd:

13. Meriadoc

Governments exploit the fear of terrorism to get things like this passed. It was interesting to see Stella Rimington(outgoing Mi5 chief) statement to a Spannish newspaper, she said :

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Wise words from a very intelligent woman. She hit the nail on the head, fear is one of the most powerful weapons in the world. Many will go to great lengths to keep from feeling it, even if the result is a solution far, far more frightening.

15. arran

arran Registered Member

I agree with what u are saying but the process is very slow. this probably won't happen for another 10-15 yrs or so.

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

And there you have the danger, while you say "phooey" and don't care because it's still a ways off, that's 10-15 years of chipping away at your rights....that's a lot of chipping friend.

17. Nebulus

I guess the real problem is: can we do something MEANINGFUL to stop this human rights erosion? Or all we can do is to wait and watch helplessly?

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

While it is true that our privacy might be violated, it is not always necessarily geared at controlling people per se. Terrorism is often invoked as the main reason, but I can think of several other worthy activities requiring extreme remedies: Pedophilia, drug peddling, mafia racketeering, women and children being sold as goods, international networks for human organs harvesting... The list is endless, and I forgot our own good crackers, the main reason we are all here. The Internet is by definition a free environment, I suppose that would apply to authorities too, and their modus operandi.

19. Meriadoc

You know when 'we' are in serious trouble when its helped along by the 'good guys'...

Operation Northwoods(Wikipedia) - false flag on your own people, bay of Tonkin, USS Liberty...better leave it there. :blink: :shifty:

20. Dr payne

Dr payne Guest

With prez BO, no doubt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.