Auslogics Disk Defrag v.2.1.0.20 Released

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by hayc59, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Auslogics Disk Defrag v.2.1.0.20 Released
    (07/16/2009)

Whats New
    Added background autodefragmentation
    • Added an option to minimize the program into system tray
    • Added Windows Explorer integration
    • Added numerous new options and possibilities
    • Corrected mistakes in the localization files
    • Improved installers

Download: Auslogics Disk Defrag
    View: Version History

2. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Looks like Auslogic now has the same feature set as SmartDefrag.

3. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Auslogics doesn't optimize i think.

4. Steven Avery

Steven Avery Registered Member

Hi Folks,

When I install for the users where I work (who had never defragged in years) I find that simplicity and clarity is what counts. All my experiences have been good with Auslogics, quite fast, and Defraggler (Piriform) which has more visibility and may make it easier to include or omit those huge files (e.g. a 10 GB PST) that might take hours .. (not sure if Defraggler is smart about it being locked, though). However I think Defraggler is generally slower, so it is a bit of a toss-up.

My thanks to both companies. Piriform has a very solid webforum, one very good plus. For most of my usagethe smart placement is simply a nicety not needed, I think other bottlenecks are 100 times more significant than disk access. The author of Disktune (another interesting freeware defrag) talks about this some.

Shalom,
    Steven Avery

5. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Apart from the various optimizations used in SmartDefrag, for instance the fact that all dirs are placed at the beginning of the partition (for NTFS ones), SmartDefrag has a rather unique feature : the ability to exclude files based on their size. I exclude all files greater than 512 MB, and if I really want to defrag some of those, I use defraggler.

6. layman

layman Registered Member

Vopt is (I believe) the product with the longest history in the defragger space, and it remains my favorite. It provides exclusion by size, and also allows you to place files in specific locations using drag and drop.

A good case can be made for leaving gargantuan files in a fragmented state, but when you have disks consisting mostly of huge files (disk images retained for a period of time, in my case) the disks become increasingly fragmented over time, and this causes the file system infrastructure, itself, to fragment and clutter the disk. So I find it helpful to defragment these huge files, and Vopt allows me even to be specific about placement, which can sometimes be useful.

7. MerleOne

Yes, drag and drop is nice, as some other functions like place \system volume information files at the end. But it doesn't seem to sort directories ?

8. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

The new version is VERY fast at defragging. :D

9. layman

layman Registered Member

No, no placement options for directories.

10. MerleOne

Thanks for the confirmation. It seems Vopt tries to consolidate free space, but only partially. Do you know where I could find more information on that ? www.vopt.com is not very talkative on this matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.