Auslogics BoostSpeed

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by The Hammer, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Anyone using it and if so what are your thoughts regarding it? Does it speed up computers?

2. Aventador

Aventador Registered Member

Oh no..................Not another placebo thread. :rolleyes:

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I have used it in the past, and is it definately one of the better utility suites around. However, having said that thare are two issues:

Firstly, under Windows 7, there is not much need for these types of programs.

Secondly, the trial version is not fully functional, which means you can't fully test it without purchasing it.

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

LOL,stay tuned plenty more these to come.o_O

@Hammer, roger m is correct,save your money or put it towarda something worth it.Just my two cents for whats its worth.

5. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Afaik, there's no independent/objective studies that have ever shown file/reg cleaners or disk defraggers result in faster performing systems. BoostSpeed and similar suites provide some other 'tweaking' tools in addition to cleaners and defraggers, but again there's no evidence that any of those result in better performance and many believe that such tools may be more dangerous than beneficial.

TS

6. Aventador

I am getting my pop corn ready. Time to sit back and watch who is the next contestant on "There's a sucker born everyday".

7. roger_m

If you do a search on Google you will find plenty of studies showing performance increases from defragging. However, to put things into perspective, the built in defrag on Windows 7 and Vista does a very good job, and runs automatically. So there is often not much to gained by using a 3rd party defragmenter.

But, you are right about registry cleaners, there have been very few benchmarks done. There are some excellent articles explaining that registry cleaners don't increase performance here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/registry-cleaner-difference/
    and here: http://bitsum.com/regcleanerfacts.php

8. Aventador

9. Aventador

A statement right from "Makeuseof.com" I think roger needs to read more into the sites he links to. :rolleyes:

10. roger_m

And, this is enabled by default. See here: http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2009/01/26/how-windows-7-handles-disk-defragmenting/

The authors of those articles don't know what they're talking about.

11. roger_m

CClenaer does boost speed by cleaning temporary files and MRU data, not by cleanig the registry.

12. Aventador

Roger................I know Windows 7 Defragger is enabled by default. But saying that it defrags in the background automatically only is true if it is still enabled. Please check your links before you post. Both those links can be found at the bottom of the link you posted. Again there is NOTHING wrong with registry cleaners. They are like a HIPS product. Should be used by an knowledgeable pc user. If you go ahead and delete everything it says then that becomes your fault. As I previously have stated in the TuneUp thread..............Backup prior to performing a cleaning. Everyone of the programs I have mentioned do this.

Staying on topic.................Paying for such software as BoostSpeed is ridiculousness when there are free alternatives.

FYI............Auslogics has free versions of there defragger,registry cleaner,registry defrag and internet optimizer.

Also roger....Windows 7 Defrag is set to defrag at 1am by default on Wednesdays. Most people are sleeping and there pc's are off. I have seen Windows 7 Defrag not ran for months on most work pc's but the scheduler is still enabled.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  13. roger_m

What a ridiculous argument. Of course, it won't defrag automatically if you disable it from doing so.

If you want to clean the registry then fine, go ahead and do it. But let's be clear, it is very rare indeed for cleaning the registry to provide any noticable benefit. Also, if you use a safe registry cleaner, it is fine to go ahead and let it delete every single registry key it finds.

14. Aventador

I never once said I use registry cleaners to gain system performance. I run them after uninstalling programs to remove left overs. Yes Roger................The option in CCleaner for obsolete software is enabled. If it wasn't then it would not find left overs from software that no longer exist due to uninstalling. Whats the big deal if a registry cleaner screws up Windows anyways? Reformat and your back to normal.

15. roger_m

Sometimes empty software keys are used by software that is installed, and there will be problems if they are deleted. However this is very rare.

Some of us prefer to never reinstall Windows.

16. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

One problem with Auslogics is that they had their free defrag program which ran a fake system scan and resolutions to the found "problems" were links pointed to their BoostSpeed payware program. Auslogics cannot be considered a reliable site IMO.

17. Aventador

Its called an advertisement. That is only cause you clicked on that tab.

18. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

If users so desparately need a faster machine then just buy a more powerful computer.
    Install some more ram etc.
    Using snake oil will not speed up a computer.o_O :ninja:

19. Aventador

"And the truth shall set you free!"

20. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

What about olive oil.:p Kinda reminds me when people i know try to get there cars to go faster with high performance air filters,fuel filters,free flow exhaust systems and think the cars overall performance will improve and it don't. Want it to go faster boar out the engine increase the horsepower,drop a three quarter race cam and drop off some body weight.

21. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

If you want to use this kind of software, I'd definately would recommend this one, from my perspective though it's best at doing something unnecessary, or some useful stuff which can be done quite easily on your own.

22. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

+1 i agree with you.
    Every computer has its limits in my opinion and i cant expect it to do more than it was designed to do.I try and keep the system running at roughly the same performance as when i purchased the computer.
    Thats good enough for me.:thumb: :thumb:

23. roger_m

Buying a new computer is usually a complete waste of money. Almost always, adding more RAM, doing a full reinstall of Windows, or both is all that is needed to maked the computer faster.

24. Aventador

Lol...........That is the funniest thing I have heard ever. Roger you just took first prize. What do you do buy a new "refurbished" computer? 99% of brand new pc's have Core i3 or i5 processors and 4GB of ram. That is more then enough power to last 5+ years. Reformatting and re-installing Windows 7 takes about an hour. Back in the days of XP it took about 6-8 hours. So tell me roger........What kind of so-called new pc's do you purchase? Is an Intel P4 with 512Ram considered new to you?

Last you I bought a Dell XPS Core i5 with 6GB of ram. I would never in my life say it was a waste of money. Prior to that I have another Dell XPS Core Duo with 4GB of ram. FYI.................99% of new pc's have a hidden recovery partition. So there is no reason to ever re-install Windows cause you already have installed and waiting to use. Press F11 while booting up.

25. roger_m

I never said anything about buying a "refurbished" computer. Perhaps you should read what I write more carefully. I was talking about reformatting the computer you currently use as an alternative to buying a new computer.

Also, to clear things up, when I said reinstalling, I was not referring specifically to doing a clean install with a Windows DVD, I did mean to include using the recovery DVDs/partition as well.

The number is not actually so high. There are plenty of PCs which don't have a recovery partition, and come with software to burn your own set of reovery DVDs. In any case, by using the recovery partition/DVDs you are essentially doing a reinstall of Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.