Audio Playback Gaps with VLC 2.0.6

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Has anyone noticed any audio playback problems on 3gp video files with VLC 2.0.6? I appear to be getting gaps in the playback. QuickTime & VLC 2.0.5 work perfectly fine.

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I've had problems with the audio intermittently dropping out (typically for a fraction of a second, rarely a full second or two), but also got this under 2.0.5 and possibly even earlier. It appears in DVDs and both FLV and MP4 files, but anything that's straight audio (like CDs or MP3 files) seems to play OK. Video appearance seems fine, so I don't think it's a problem with the drive as in head misalignment or the like.

I'm stumped, frankly ... my son thinks maybe it's a case of buffering not being set up properly, but I wouldn't have a clue what to do about that (my system uses the Lenovo HD Audio Manager, and I can't find anything relating to buffering in its settings).

Hopefully someone else will come along and can rescue us.

3. Daveski17

I read somewhere that they have simplified the audio playback somewhat, I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I don't use VLC a great deal & usually for playing 3gp files from my phone. So I have just noticed this as I was watching some files of my late father. Luckily, I kept the 2.0.5 installer & that plays fine. QuickTime plays the files without problem as well. I've never noticed anything like this before in VLC & I have been using it for several years. I hope it's just a bug that they can iron out in 2.0.7.

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Almost entirely off-topic ... VLC does have one advantage when it comes to DVDs. My old system had PowerDVD installed, which did have some very useful features, particularly the ability to ability to remember exactly where you'd left off if you interrupted playback, and offered the option of restarting from that point.

Its biggest disadvantage was that if I chose to pause rather than turn it off, it took a good 5 to 10 seconds after resuming for the audio and video to get back into sync with each other. VLC resumes from pausing quite smoothly, in comparison.

5. Daveski17

I haven't tried a DVD with 2.0.6, I suppose I should have done before changing back to 2.0.5 for a comparison. I've never had any problems playing DVDs either though on VLC. It usually does everything so competently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.