Audio cd ripping error messages

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

With both sound-juicer and k3b I get many log entries like this:

sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
    sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
    sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Illegal mode for this track
    sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 20 00 00 02 00
    sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
    sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
    sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Illegal mode for this track

The Audio cd is ripped with both but k3b needs to be force quit>end process. o_O

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Have you tried RipperX? Also is lame loaded?

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

linuxforall, the rips were fine except for k3b freeze when completed as explained.
    I wonder if RipperX will make a difference as the error messages also get logged when using sound-juicer. Please check my k3b plugins - seems to use MAD for decoding mp3 and lame for encoding. K3b lame.png

K3b plugins.png

4. linuxforall

Everything looks fine, just try RipperX for curiosity, it looks like a hardware error with sata.

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

RipperX - I like it and it rips nicely - but the error messages are the same. At least it doesn't freeze after ripping like k3b. In other words, if I don't check the logs after ripping, I would be pleased that all is fine (with RipperX ..and sound-juicer).
    BTW. The only problem I have with k3b is ripping audio files.

Thanks for the RipperX suggestion.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Ocky, did you try tracing with strace and see what happens :)
    Mrk

7. linuxforall

You are welcome, RipperX uses CDPARANOIA-III engine and in terms of quality closely matches EAC. I hate to tell you but those errors also can mean hardware problems with the drive, the reason I say that is my Liteon started giving me those very same errors before it went kaput. Can you update the firmware on that particular drive to see if this issue goes away.

8. linuxforall

It does crc checks, has paranoia mode for scratch stringent scratch checks, only thing it does lack is offset but then EAC is the only one that does it.

9. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

Or dBpoweramp (13.5), which is what I use.

10. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Right, it's not the cd drive - I have a Liteon - because the same messages are logged on my wife's laptop.
    Regarding k3b and the freeze problem mentioned earlier, this only happens with encoding to mp3 (lame) - not with Ogg. Karmic also logs the same messages but is one up on Lucid as ripping to mp3 does not cause any lockups at all. Maybe it's the lame version in Lucid that is at fault (i.e. doesn't play nicely with k3b). The messages however are logged whenever a rip takes place no matter whether Lucid or Karmic and on different machines.
    I think I will just avoid checking the logs after ripping and use either sound-juicer or the excellent RipperX.

11. linuxforall

Ocky, I have always used RipperX and found it to be quite competent, the LAME version used in Karmic is same as in Lucid, both are 3.98.2 if I am not mistaken, its probably the HAL thats giving all these errors for you. I have a LG DVD writer, due to their firmware, the SATA one won't work with any Linux but the IDE works fine and I get no errors while ripping or burning.

12. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Yes some 'research' substantiates what you are saying. I have come across suggestions to use cdrecord -raw96r, to disable hal (is it still in Lucid ?) https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=552451 (hal problems)
    and to download cdrtools from https://launchpad.net/~brandonsnider/ archive/cdrtools/ packages and to switch to IDE.
    As I can rip audio cd's fine with RipperX (and sound-juicer), is it safe to just ignore the error messages ? (Other burning tasks are problem free - the error messages are only for audio cd's).

13. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I concur with the others that it could be a hardware problem, but since CD ripping is not my expertise, I can't really say either way.

However, I can say, have you tried RubyRipper? I have never heard of RipperX, but it sounds like RubyRipper, which will do secure ripping (check hashes). It used to be the only native Linux ripper that offered EAC-like quality (although EAC runs just fine in WINE).

14. linuxforall

As long as you don't get any quality issues, continue with RipperX.

15. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

There is a new version of cdrtools out - not available any longer in Ubuntu repos - commandline.... (in case anyone is interested)

http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/cdrecord.html

Cdrtools is a set of command line programs that allows to record CD/DVD/BluRay media.

The suite includes the following programs:
    cdrecord A CD/DVD/BD recording program
    readcd A program to read CD/DVD/BD media with CD-clone features
    cdda2wav The most evolved CD-audio extraction program with paranoia support
    mkisofs A program to create hybrid ISO9660/JOLIET/HFS filesystes with optional Rock Ridge attributes
    isodebug A program to print mkisofs debug information from media
    isodump A program to dump ISO-9660 media
    isoinfo A program to analyse/verify ISO/9660/Joliet/Rock-Ridge Filesystems
    isovfy A program to verify the ISO-9660 structures
    rscsi A Remote SCSI enabling daemon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.