Attitude Towards Freeware world & Freeware

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by musicman, Dec 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicman

musicman Registered Member

Hidden Inside
    Written by: Steven Burn - CEO - Ur I.T. Mate Group
    02/12/2003 03:03:46

Having just finished watching a program on television, it got me to thinking about the Freeware world and the attitude toward freeware.

The program concerned a young man of 16, the young man knew he was gay, had a boyfriend that also knew he was gay, but both were so afraid of being seen together when others were around because of the attitude toward homosexuals in their area, that they spoke only to say hello (if at all) when in public, and did not dare tell a sole about themselves, not even their parents.

You may be asking yourself "where is he going with this" so, in sticking with trying not to confuse you, this same attitude that is seen in the worl of homosexuals, is also present in the world of freeware. There is a general attitude that I have come accross on more than one occasion, that freeware is something to be avoided, partially because it comes at no cost whatsoever, and is therefore deemed "unsatisfactory", but also because, it is assumed that, because it is freeware, that the software's author(s) must not be professionals, thus meaning the software itself is not of the high quality that is associated with share/commercial ware.

In this sense, the television program got me to thinking, is this what freeware is all about?, is freeware so scared of other people's opinions of it, that it is too afraid to come out and say "this is what I am, if you can't deal with it, then it is you whom has the problem, you whom is the disease of life for thinkng such things about me".

Perhaps I am crazy for seeing it this way, who knows. However, what I do know is, there is a serious lacking of knowledge, a serious mis-conception of what freeware is. I know some people will see me as either, a very wierd individual, or simply just completely crazy for defending something such as freeware, that I do not get anything out of.

There is however, another mis-conception, and this one concerns freeware authors and users. It is assumed by some (those that know what freeware is), that we do not get anything out of it (money or whatever) and, just like the young men in the program, we do get something out of it. What we get out of freeware is, a better understanding of what software is and can be, and the satisfaction that we are providing something that those that are not made of money, can actually afford to have on their system.

To get to the point, freeware and the freeware world, are both heading to the state where they are too afraid to say anything, or to be "out there", be it for fear of being lynched by an alledged "bigger and better" commercial world or because they are afraid they are not "good enough" or "normal enough".

In this sense, it saddens me. It saddens me because, freeware is something (in my opinion) that should be cherished. Something that should be defended and cared for, something that should be loved for what it is and not what people assume it is.

Regards

Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group

2. vrf

vrf Registered Member

Isn't it difficult for someone making a program during his spare time to make it as good as a program made by a group of professionals, working in a software company, who are paid for that and it's their job to do that? In my opinion freeware can never be as good as paid software. Sure, it's an alternative for someone who hasn't too much money. But good software requires many programmers, many hours of work and those people need a motivating salary, they can't live with air. So it's normal that good software costs.

3. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

;) You ever heard the adage that too many cooks can spoil the broth?? Programming is like cooking. I know guys who are Chefs de la Cuisine in programming and many more who are just basic cooks. Can a bunch of well paid cooks create better food than a Chef?? Perhaps. They can provide quantity but not quality. Throwing more people and money at a stated purpose does not improve quality. Our governments are proof of that! LOL

And, what makes you think that a programmer's only purpose, in the pursuit of his art, is to make more money?Some of these people already HAVE lots of money, yet they continue to create works of art for everyone's enjoyment. So, please do not assume that quality in any way follows money.

The Internet was originally started by a bunch of scientists who wanted to exchange information and ideas. They also exchanged routines and programs they had written themselves. Freeware started with them. I was there back in the 80's on homemade dialup!

Paywares came much later with the masses of people who jumped onto the Internet as it became more widely available. The first purpose of the payware companies is profit and their bottom line. (This is not necessarily in the best interests of the users because whether they pay for software or not, they use it at their own risk.)

From my point of view, the best freeware apps are programs like Proxomitron, written for the purpose of benefiting both the programmer and the users themselves. That was and is the original purpose of freeware!

4. RJ100

RJ100 Registered Member

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

and I've got a Javacool application or two onmy machine which I reckon just can't be beat :D

6. RJ100

RJ100 Registered Member

I'll second that!

In the name of Privacy and Security :)

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hmm, that brings up a good point on a similar theme to freeware... Why do any people at any online forum post answers to other people's questions? None are being paid to do it.

If any of you has ever gone and done a fairly significant amount of research (and effort) in order to answer a person's question at a forum, in a sense you are providing a free security product. Not a program, but a free service none the less.

8. RJ100

RJ100 Registered Member

Thats a great point as well, in the free world about providing service or volunteer work in general.
    Just think, if we all had a nickel for every HT log solved or any other issues that are dealt with by the people who actually "enjoy" helping other people in need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.