Attention Cat & Dog Owners: Bad Hartz Product

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by greyfox, Jun 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greyfox

greyfox Registered Member

A cousin of mine posted this on the Gladiator Ten Forward Forum. I thought it was worth posting here if it will save someone's dog or cat. greyfox

Quote:
    Tuesday of last week I applied Hartz Advanced flea control drops on my cat, Blackie. On Friday Night (just past), Our 2 yr old healthy cat began to convulse and then go into violent seizures. He shook violently as I stood by in horror and he may now have permanent neurological damage.I had to run Him to the Emergency vet room Friday night, where I stayed and prayed for hours and left with the diagnosis that he had been poisoned by the chemical Phenothrin. The active ingrediant found in Hartz products...I applied it as the label said.

Visit www.hartzvictims.org for more info/horror stories of cats and dogs alike. After much research I have discovered that Hartz uses a pesticide that is BANNED by the FDA and EPA,yet it continues daily to kill loved pets. Phenothrin is 85.7% the active ingredient and is also a neural-inturrupter that has been banned by the EPA to use on lawns. HEY! but you can dump it on your cat!

I am beside myself with guilt, sick to my stomach and LIVID at the same time.

The vet trips are just beginning, the bills are huge - and this product sits on our shelves all the while.

Spread the word to any other cat/dog/any pet owners NOT to use ANY PRODUCT made by Hartz it is still uncertain if he will live, or have permanent neurological damage. I'm suing HARTZ mountain CORP and I have talked to the EPA and the ASPCA animal poison control center.

2. CalamityJane

CalamityJane Registered Member

Thanks for posting this Grey Fox!!.

Yeah, I'm her cousin mentioned (4th & 5th cousins, once removed :) so double related in our genealogy searches)......and this is my daughter's cat :(

It's real and it happened in our own backyard. Those are my daughter's words in an email to me this week.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2004
  3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

As soon as I saw this posted here, I started searching around to see just how widely known this problem was, meaning not the specific case, but the overall problem. I was shocked at how many sites, forums etc. are pointing out this problem and yet it still goes on. I can't get a sense for the percentages from this limited a perspective, but it seems too wide spread to be one of those one in million occurences. Very concerning.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

And what is disturbing is that it has been going on for quite a while.

5. CalamityJane

Follow up from my daughter.....

6. CalamityJane

This specific case? It's ours here personally and probably not well known {yet} But overall, from what my daughter has found, it's disgusting and just a warning *Heads Ups* to our friends.

7. greyfox

I was astounded to see how many hits I got when I Googled Hartz & EPA . It has been known since at least 2001 that this product causes death & injury to pets.

There's a petition online to sign and some information about the EPA collecting information reguarding incidents concerning pets and Hartz Flea & Tick products. And you're welcome cousin Calamity Jane. :-* greyfox

http://www.petitiononline.com/hartz/petition.html

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I signed it. they should be held responsible for their products.

9. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

This is scary!
    I was using Hartz flea and tick drops on my two dogs.

Thanks for the "heads up".
    I definitely won't be buying any more Hartz flea/tick products.

10. wawadave

wawadave Registered Member

don,t know how the court system works where you are but you got the receipts for every thing? if so sue them! they liss-on to that.

11. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Hi All,

I have known about Hartz for a while, through my daughter, who has quite a few animals in her family. It is great that Blackie is doing better, but, that must have really scared you! Why they can keep selling that stuff, I sure would like to know! And calling themselves a business that "cares for your pets, like our own family"! I would hate to be in theirs'.:eek: Hope this petition finally gets this stuff off the shelf!:mad: In an aside, if you are not a professional breeder, get your friends spayed or neutered! Through my own experiences, your cat or dog will be healthier and live longer, it's soo heartbreaking to find out something you could have done easily shortened their time with you and put them in so much pain.
    Sending Happy Healthy thoughts to Blackie!:)

12. greyfox

CalamityJane's daughter (the owner of Blackie the cat) is planning on suing the Hartz company. Her father's a lawyer. :D

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Looks like the EPA is involved too. They allow this ingredient to be used.

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/hartzq_a.htm

14. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Petition signed. This is disgusting - period.

regards,

paul

15. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Hello Wilders,

Knowing how caring and responsible Wilders' are, I'm asking you to look at the Hartz petition link, http://www.petitiononline.com/hartz/petition.html, just read a few comments - anymore would be cruel. It is heartbreaking to read even a small sample made by the petitioners. Hartz has known about the "problems" :rolleyes: their product causes, in the name of $$$(?), they still advertise,encourage, and sell them. At the least, we can make them more hesitant to, literally, poison people's pets!! :mad:

As I write this, two small dogs and a cat look up at me with a look that says, "Get off that thing and feed us!"!! That's what I am going to do, smiling, being thankful, that they are happy, healthy, and here with us! :)

Marja and friends*puppy* *puppy* :ninja:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.