attacks from this site?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by argus tuft, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

hi all, not sure where exactly to post this, but my AV just detected an attempt to extract personal information from my pc, not the first time its happaned to me at wilders either... I hope im suffering from a paranoid AV program, any-one else had anything like this happen here??https://www.wilderssecurity.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
    o_O

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

What warning/alert did it give, for what link or file or whatever, and what AV was it?

3. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

No paranoid behavior. Hackers have been trying to crack this site to prevent people at Wilders from assisting people who visit this site in need help with viruses, worms trojans as well as security or other advice.

Dave

4. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

my av dosent seem to be working :(

5. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

LowWaterMark, sorry about the delay in getting back... my AV is trend micro 2006, and the alert said something like "trend micro internet security has prevented your private information from being transmitted to www.wilderssecurity.com/etc/etc/etc (address of page i was viewing) if you wish to send this information press add exception" the information being targeted was my credit card no. (if only they knew)

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

easily answered,

you have added information such as your name / email into your protect private information, when you submit ie., your name to wilders as maybe its your username, trend blocks this information, as it should do.

but this is definatly the problem whats going on, your antivirus is not broken or acting funny, its actually performing what you told it to do. *lol*

1. never put your credit card into these private data parts of suites, a number of suites do this... but i see no point really.
    2. if your going to use your name or email, make sure you add it to excepetions of email as whenever its inputted in a email, it will prevent the email being sent.
    3. add exceptions to websites you want to return to, or turn off the feature completly. (if the site looks and feels clean that is)

i was quite sure after your first post without any other details, that this was your problem, but didnt decide to reply till more details were posted, but now im 100% sure.

configure your settings on this matter, and let us know how you get on.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Ah, I had wondered if it was something like that. I think you'll find my post in the following thread, (plus the link to the dslreports thread within it), explains a lot about how those kind of "private data" monitors work...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=107512

In short, the data that forms dynamically generated webpages at sites like this will contain lots of numbers, and if you enable such a monitoring tool to alert you on something like your credit card (or pin or social security numbers), then you can see false positives like this.

Since there are no pages on this site that ask for credit card numbers, you are getting a false alert on that.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

If ur explanation is correct, he should not be able to login while running TM but I don,t see such a complain by him.

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

it was an invalid referance to the privata data option in trend micro 2007.

just an example, to help him locate his problem and fix it.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So it was from TM firewall or some other componenet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.