Attacks before system startup

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Minimalist, Jun 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

http://www.securelist.com/en/blog/8228/Attacks_before_system_startup

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I haven´t read everything yet, but I thought this was a thing of the past, because of PatchGuard and Driver Signing? :cautious:
    If I´m correct, it´s not that easy anymore to load a malicious driver on Win 64 bit.

3. Minimalist

Not quite right. You should read the article it is nicely explained.

4. Minimalist

Here is a quote:
    "It comes as no surprise that, as UEFI became universally implemented, it attracted the interest of independent researchers as a potential attack vector (one, two, three). The list of possible penetration points is quite extensive and includes compromising (injecting, replacing or infecting) OS boot loaders and EFI, compromising UEFI drivers, directly accessing SPI Flash from the operating system and many others. In the case of booting in UEFI+Legacy (CSM) mode, old methods of infecting the system used by bootkit developers remain effective. It is also quite obvious that if the pre-boot execution environment is compromised, all the Windows security mechanisms, such as Patch Guard, driver signature verification etc., are rendered useless."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.