Attacking Anti-Virus Software

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by De Hollander, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

A healthy dose of paranoia.

2. arran

arran Registered Member

hmm wasn't aware of that, however the system shut down simulator test trys to shut them down and it can't. and I have both comodo and eqsecure both protecting each other from being shut down. So it would be highly unlikely for them to be shut down.

3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Chill out buddy, it's not the end of the world... yet ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2008
  4. 031

031 Registered Member

Nicely said :D

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Here are five tips:

Use LUA
    Use User Account Control (UAC) by running Limited User Account. When you can not deal with the elevation prompts, simply use Tweak UAC and use LUA/UAC in quiet mode (although it is a bit less secure).

When you see you screen darken every now and then, you already running LUA. Keep it that way.

Easy outbound FireWall control
    Try Vista Fire Wall Control 1.3 It is free and easy to use. Adds outbound protection while using Vista's Firewall engine (make sure you download the correct 32/64 bits version).

Free easy to use Sandbox/surf guard
    Download HauteSecure (make sure you download the correct 32/64 bits version). Install and forget. It is still in Beta, but we use it for several months without a problem.

When your internet service provider does not faciliate email scanning
    Use Avast free. It comes with mail/web/P2P shields and a lightweight NIDS. Runs a little faster on our Vista64 dual core than Avira (but that is a matter of taste/personal preference, we have Avira on the XP-box single core)

Use common sense
    When you download cracks/serials you ask to be infected, so stay away from those sites (Haute Secure will warn you for it).

With that you will be fine

Regards Kees

6. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I use windows xp firewall plus what is listed on my signature, and I have never been infected since using PCs starting in 1981. It is not about being low-risk, in fact, it is the opposite. So the conclusion I have drawn and stated on this site many times to the consternation of the true-believers, is that about 99% of the threats are imagined- not real. But cover yourself on the 1%.

7. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Avast free ? Really ? I recall that the Avast forum got hacked, that doesn't inspire confidence.

8. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Forums getting hacked is a reality, no matter what the field is. The forum software is not one of alwil's products btw. So I fail to see how that would inspire unconfidence.

9. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Apparently the company that produces Avast was careless enough to allow its forum to get hacked.

You don't see a high-profile forum like McAfee's getting hacked, do you ?
    I suggests carelessness.

10. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Suggest all you want :) It's not that simple. It depends on the forum software, its vendor, the number and nature of vulnerabilities available, and how fast the vendor is willing and able to patch them. After that comes the end user and their patching policy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.