ATM operators eye Linux as alternative to Windows XP

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by tgell, Mar 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Sorry if this has been posted already.

Article

2. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Oy! If they think they're having upgrade problems now...

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

While I would love to say "thank heavens for that" I'm afraid they're using Linux as some form of scape goat thinking that it will not need updated. In 10 years time we will probably just have 10 year old Linux kernels in ATMs that were never updated. :/

Whatever OS they choose it will still need administered and maintained, though having a specially designed Linux distro over full blown XP would be progress. If the absolutely, absurdly massive life cycle that XP got isn't good enough for them I'm not sure what is.

4. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

What's absurd about using software that continuously meeting the requirements?

5. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Well, with Red Hat they could get up to 13 years of support, depending on when they acquire the OS (13 years if they get it right at release of a given version). The release cycles are such that they can get at least about 10 years, as once you get far enough into one version's lifecycle a newer version is released.

Although that's not that different from Windows (XP's very long lifecycle being the exception), Linux's generally lower system requirements mean they might be able to keep using the same hardware longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.