ATIW 9.1.3567 incl UR: FTP backup/restore error

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tubby67, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tubby67

tubby67 Registered Member

I'm currently using Norton Ghost as a backup solution.

I'm thinking of "migrating" to Acronis TI so I testdrove TI Workstation 9.1 (3567) incl. Universal Restore at work.

I then got errors when restoring via FTP. The FTP server supported Passive. Image was less than 2Gb. The Boot-CD claimed that the .tib was not a True Image file and/or failed verification. But the Image verified and restored ok when put on a secondary HDD and restored from there. Both systems had win xp pro + latest updates.

Also, trying to backup over FTP gave the error "E0004000A: Error creating the file". Again, backup to secondary drive worked fine.

Is this a known bug with 3567?

If so, is it fixed in 3602?

BTW, why is there no changelog for presumtive customers like me to read?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tubby67,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

First of all, please re-download the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation from our web site. It should be build 3602. Install it and create new Bootable Rescue CD. See if any of the problems you reported still persist. If yes, then please do the following:

- Try placing this particular image to any SMB share and see if the problem still persists. Inform us about the result;

- Let us know how the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation (build 3602) recognizes this particular image (located on both FTP server and SMB share) when it is running from under Windows;

- Boot the computer from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3602) of the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears;

- After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the OK button, choose "Full Version" and wait for # prompt to appear;

- Issue the following commands:

asamba dhcp -n
    asamba masters

- Write down the output after each of the commands or use a digital camera to make a shots of the output screens;

- Insert a diskette in a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands;

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    cat /proc/net/dev > mntdir/net.txt
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

- Collect the net.txt and sysinfo.txt files from the diskette.

Please note that sometimes the sysinfo.txt and net.txt files are not readable from under Windows. In this case please try entering the file name using capital letters, i.e. SYSINFO.TXT, NET.TXT, or follow the instructions provided in this previous post of mine.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post of mine explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive (the same applies to the net.txt file).

If this error message appears when you try to create an image saving it to the FTP server using the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation from under Windows then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please also provide us with the following information:

- Reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon;

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post for both computer you try to backup and your FTP server;

- Let us know when the error message appears exactly.

If this error message appears when you try to create an image saving it to the FTP server using Bootable Rescue CD created with the latest build (3602) of the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation then please provide us with the following information:

- Are you able to create an image saving it to the SMB share?

- When exactly does this error message appear?

- Create sysinfo.txt and net.txt files (see the instructions above).

Please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Attach the files and information collected to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem(s) appear(s) and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem(s) and try to provide you with the most suitable solution as soon as possible.

Please be aware that every registered user of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation can always find the list of changes implemented in the latest build of the respective product at the Product Updates section of his\her account at Acronis web site.

Please note that we do have plans to implement the more detailed change log in the future, but exact time frame for this is not decided yet.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. tubby67

Hi,

Back in May I didn't have time to troubleshoot FTP backup/restore from the boot CD in accordance with the detailed process that you (Acronis staff) suggested.

Today I wanted to check out the current state of those features, so I tried out the latest build on of ATIW (the trial, without UR). There seems to be some improvements for FTP via the boot CD, but still many problems.

I today first tested to backup, restore and verify .tib files between several internal hard drives. That worked well. I then tried doing new backups and also restoring from the same .tib files over FTP from withing the boot CD. That still did not work. Here are some of the issues I have:

- General GUI issues: as a user I don't know when ATIW is connecting, disconnecting and so on. Also, I do not know when to click/push enter and when to just wait for ATIW to autoconnect or whatever. Some statusbar messages (like "connecting...", "disconnecting...", "getting folder list..." and so on) and a simple connect/disconnect-button would improve things a lot!

- FTP browsing is very slow. Also, it seems to now and then disconnect when the user tries to browse the FTP server.

- Several .tib images did not show up at all in the FTP (they verify ok when checked within windows and are less than 2GB in size).

- Some .tib files that did show up where listed as unknown files and not with their correct name (though in the correct folder).

- some .tib files with correct names where listed as corrupt.

- when trying to backup, I again immediately got the "error creating the file" message.

As I said, I earlier didn't have the time to troubleshoot this thoroughly. I still don't. Rather, I'll just wait until the FTP features in Acronis True Image are working (fairly) straight out of the box and then (not earlier) purchase the product.

For the moment, I'd really like to see an status report on the FTP features from the Acronis staff though. What in the boot CD FTP process does Acronis recognize as problematic/not working? Are the problems I'm describing common? What's on your to-do-list regarding FTP features in True Image?

4. tubby67

To repeat myself:

"For the moment, I'd really like to see an status report on the FTP features from the Acronis staff though. What in the boot CD FTP process does Acronis recognize as problematic/not working? Are the problems I'm describing common? What's on your to-do-list regarding FTP features in True Image?"

Should I from the lack of replies conclude that Acronis recognise no problems with the current FTP features on the boot CD and that you have no plan to change them? ;-)

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tubby67,

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

I've forwarded your suggestion to implement statusbar messages like "connecting...", "disconnecting...", "getting folder list..." and the alike to our Development Team and it will certainly be considered for the future implementation.

If you have any further suggestions on how to improve Acronis True Image functionality please feel free to post any of them in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Please be aware that these problems are not typical\common and therefore require a deeper investigation. If you want us to investigate them then please provide us with the information requested above.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.