ATIH 2009: "Ignore bad sectors" option doesn't work

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Spooky, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spooky

Spooky Registered Member

Apparently I have bad sectors on the hard disk of a PC running ATIH 2009 (latest version), even though I already did a full sector scan with chkdsk. Anyway, I set the option "Ignore bad sectors" for the backup operation.

However, after a few backups, it kept saying "Failed to read data from the disk" during every backup, requiring you to click "Ignore All" again. The option is still active, I also tried deselecting the option again, save the task, then edit the task again and selecting it again, but it still happens.

Any known problems with this and/or a solution?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  2. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

When you ran chkdsk did you use the /r switch? To follow is a procedure that I use. I don't understand what you mean by full sector scan.

Attached Files:

3. Spooky

Spooky Registered Member

/r is the full sector scan, yes. But regardless of that, ATIH 2009 shouldn't prompt if you activated the option "Ignore bad sectors".

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

you shouldn't use that disk for any data that needs backing up

5. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Spooky,
    I agree about the prompting. It does however sound like you have a disk going bad.

6. Spooky

Spooky Registered Member

Yes, but again, regardless of that, ATIH 2009 shouldn't prompt again for user input, when using the option "Ignore bad sectors".

Yeah, I just need the option until I get around to buy and install a new disk in that system. Until then there is no reason not to back up, unless no old backup is present in order to restore any system files that may get lost when a sector goes down.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Spooky,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

I can suggest you to set the default backup options to silent mode.

Launch the program -> Tools -> Options -> Unfold default backup options -> Error handling -> Mark "Do not show messages and dialogs while processing (silent mode) box -> OK.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

8. Spooky

Spooky Registered Member

I did that too. I checked all the options there, including the silent mode. But it still waits for user input every time.

9. Acronis Support

Hello Spooky,

It appears the Silent Mode doesn't work.

Could you please download Acronis Report utility available here and run it, create a report and attach to your post.

This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

10. Spooky

Spooky Registered Member

I have exchanged the harddisk last weekend. Should I still make a Report with the new harddisk? Partition structure is just one primary partition.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  11. Acronis Support

Hello Spooky,

If the issue is reproduced on the new hard drive, please create Acronis report and attach to your post, we will try to fix the malfunction. If the program doesn't upset you now, you can leave everything as it is.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

12. Spooky

Spooky Registered Member

Well, I guess it will only happen again, if a broken sector occurs on the harddisk. But I'll surely report, when it happened again.

13. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

This is just another case of Acronis producing unhelpful error messages.

I had hard disk errors and Acronis never mentioned them.

Chkdsk /r fixed the problem.

I suggest that you run chkdsk /r once a month until you have confidence in the new hard disk and also confidence in Acronis.

14. Spooky

Spooky Registered Member

No, the problem is that I do know that there are bad sectors on the hard disk and that Acronis True Image keeps asking the user if ATIH should continue the backup procedure despite the bad sectors even though the option not to ask the user and ignore bad sectors was activated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.