ATIH 11 very slow imaging Windows 7

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Earthling, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

After a clean install of Windows 7 RC I took an image, but ATI was really struggling. W7 on disk is under 10GB, but the 'compressed' image file is over 20GB. It also took far longer than it does to image my 50GB Vista partition. However it validates OK.

ATI was running in VistaPE from a bootable partition and is pretty quick when imaging other partitions.

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Did you get the RC from Microsoft's site? My win7 folder is about 8.2Gb and I get "normal" Image sizes and processing times.

3. Earthling

No, I didn't actually. The RC just won't install on some machines, including my Medion MD8818 - BSOD on first reboot. Build 7127 fixes it and appears in every respect to be genuine - but I would love to understand why ATI is having problems with it.

Looking at the partition in DD it has a red C on it, and won't accept any operations. So something wrong with the partition it seems.

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Earthling,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Home Products!

When Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 has a red "C" on a partition it means that it has errors and yo have to check it. You can do it with Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 or you can do the following:

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    - Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /f/r"
    where DISK is the partition letter you need to check. Please note, that
    checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

Thank you.
    Daniel Pustovoy

5. Earthling

Running chkdsk /f /r has cleaned the partition and ATIH 11 has now backed it up without problems. New tibfile size is 3.4 GB, down from 22+ GB :eek:

6. DwnNdrty

That's incredible. I usually do chkdsk /r when I think a drive needs it. I'll have to add the /f in future.

7. Earthling

I don't think it was entirely down to the /f switch. The original, at over 22 GB was more than twice the size of the used part of the partition, so something was seriously amiss. Lord knows what though.

In any case /r implies /f, so in theory anyway /r should be sufficient.

8. DwnNdrty

Yes, I saw that afterwards when I checked the switches - it's been quite a while since I looked them up. As for the 22Gb maybe because of the "errors" on the drive, True Image fell into a pseudo sector by sector routine of some sort.

9. Earthling

As an aside, I've had a lot of trouble with installing Win 7 into my Grub4DOS managed dual boot with Vista. The RC causes a BSOD during install on some machines, my Medion MD8818 included, and If it hadn't been for TI 11 and DD 10 I would have lost the lot - several times.

Hats off to both of them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.