ATI2009 won't write image to DVD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by clintong, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clintong

clintong Registered Member

HP Media Center PC
    Vista Premium SP1

I've been getting the boot error: Hard disk failure imminent. Please backup your hard disk and have it replaced.

I've been able to image to the master, to a slave, and have been able to make the bootable ATI2009 DVD but this software will --not-- allow me to burn an 152Gb image to DVD itself. I've run a System Report which can be made available.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

To make the software burn an Image to DVD, it has to be done during the Image creation. But this process is excruciatingly slow. And for an Image the size of 152Gb, you'll be sitting there for days feeding in the blank media.
    The alternative, if you want your Image on dvd, is to first back it up to a usb drive in dvd sized pieces then use Nero or Roxio or similar to burn those pieces to the dvd discs.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

A titanium, roller-bearing, DVD tray would also be required for a restore. The number of DVD swaps would be enormous. For those who don't know, TI does not completely read all of one DVD then request the next one.

4. clintong

clintong Registered Member

Well its certainly welcome to hear the responses, particularly to learn this vendors software will not read spanned DVDs. If only vendors were honest about these issues they would increase sales and customers would actually come to respect such companies.

As is, I have an image to the slave which will serve me well --if-- this vendor's software loaded from the DVD at boottime can be trusted to access the slave and restore the image to the newly installed hard disk.

I suspect I am going to get burned anyway as the image was created from a 500Gb Samsung SCSI hard disk on an HP Media Center PC and the new disk is a 500Gb Seagate SATA. Furthermore, the HP chat window told me I was going to be better off buying a replacement hard drive from HP because HP would then give me a utility that ensured the existing image would be restored. Reading bewteen the lines tells me HP has burned a key into the registry somewhere which will likely obstruct and prevent restoring an image to a new disk of my choosing.

The price for the HP 500 Gb replacement hard disk? $640!

I sh!t you not. $640 for a 500Gb disk! I am now very fearful I have been victimized by yet another corrupt vendor and will be compelled to reinstall all of my applications to rebuild a working system. Worse... I am now very worried about using the HP recovery disk that should but likely will not restore the Vista OS to a new hard disk of my choosing rather than being compelled to buy their outrageously priced replacement hard drive with utility that will recognize the booby trap they have apparently written to the registry.

BTW (you'll get a kick out of this) before buying into AcronisTI I used RSJ HD Image freeware to image this disk several weeks ago and it spanned 19 DVDs :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  5. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

$640 for a 500Gb Seagate Sata? Are we talking US$ or some other currency. I did a quick check and a 500 Seagate Sata with 32mb cache with 5-yr warr. is US$57 plus $7 shipping.

As the saying goes, HP must have seen you coming from a long way off. Seriously, it does not have to be a sata drive from HP.

Get yourself an external usb drive (I've seen 1Tb for about $120 to 100US) and create an Image to it using the True Image rescue cd asap. When you get the new drive, again use the Rescue cd to restore the image to the new drive.

6. JustPlainFred

JustPlainFred Registered Member

Clintong,
    Hello, I had the same experience with HP, bought a Hitachi 500GB (same unit only bigger as original) sata for about
    60$usb with shipping! (Directron.com) Forget HP! regards, PlainFred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.