ATI WS 9.1 + UR, Bare metal restore to HP ML150 G3 loses mouse & Keyboard input.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DST18, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DST18

DST18 Registered Member

This is driving me nuts.
    I'm attempting to complete a bare metal restore of SBS 2000* from a fully funtional (but old) AMD athlon server (with Via chipset) to a brand new HP Proliant ML150 G3 Server.

Armed with a full version of ATI 9.1** I take a backup image of the source server which completes sucessfully and varifies ok.

Booting up the HP server with the Acronis recovery CD gets me to the selection screen but with no response from the mouse or keyboard - basically a dead end. (even using the kb and mouse from the original server (all mini-Din direct to the mainboard)).
    I've tried loads of different kb's and mice and all work ok navigating the BIOS or if I boot to DOS, but stop dead following a Recovery CD Boot up.

So, to get around this, I created a BartPE boot disk with the correct ATI + UR plugin (kindly supplied by ATI Tech Support) which boots up perfectly, loading the SAS Raid driver and giving me full kb & mouse input.
    So far so good.

Now comes the Universal Restore which restores the image created earlier to the boot drive on the ML150, finds & installs the SAS Raid driver and chipset inf's and tells me "Restore Successful"

Trembling with anticipation. I reboot and let the ML150 start up from it's newly created system drive, which it does, loading Windows 2000 Server and even detecting the first NIC...

BUT... no keyboard or mouse input!!! Can't control anything. Even USB kb's and mice that work on the old server are dead.

There has to be a simple answer to this. ATI is so close to doing what the marketing said it would, it would be a shame for it to turn out to be be incomaptible with truckloads of HP Servers out there.

I'm hoping I've missed something embarassingly obvious.
    If there is anyone who has seen this before and has found a solution please let me know.

*Windows 2000 Server SP4, SBS2000 SP1
    **ATI Windows Server 9.1 with Universal Restore option.(latest)

2. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Try shutting down and restarting with the computer reset switch a couple of times. Sometimes this has worked for me.

3. RockyCore

RockyCore Registered Member

I've done imaging with workstations that acted in similar fashions. And in my experience, if you just let it sit at the login screen for a while....perhaps up to 15 minutes or so, it will eventually detect the keyboard/mouse hardware and install default drivers.

Have you given the machine ample time for such ?

Instead of doing a physical reboot like silver said, you could feel a little better perhaps by connecting via RDP and telling the machine to reboot, then seeing if the drivers get installed.

4. mustang

mustang Developer

5. DST18

DST18 Registered Member

Thanks to silver0066 and RockyCore for your suggestions, unfortunately they did not reslove the problem. Over that last week I have tried dozens on restore scenarios including leaving the sysem for over an hour after booting, but still no kb or mouse are detected.

I tried to RDP (TS) into it to get control, but because I'm unable to install the NIC drivers, there are no configured network cards available to Terminal Services (and because the PCI bus on the new box is different from the old one, I can't install one of the original network cards either).

homer007's fix pointed out by Mustang was a great idea, but did not solve the problem either. Although applying the fix worked ok (forcing hwpnp to run on first boot) it still did not detect any kb or mouse.

I'm now at a dead end and can't progress any further.
    Despite having a bootable server with the restored image installed, without kb and mouse input to configure it, it is useless.

With up to a week turnaround for emails from Acronis Tech Support, the issue has dragged on for two weeks.

I did a fresh install of SBS 2000 on the ML150 and this detected the kb & mouse correctly.
    ***So if Windows Setup can do it, why can't ATI o_O***

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, please let me know.
    Thanks.

6. Unimatrix

Unimatrix Registered Member

hi, perhaps this will help you..

Use regedit from your bartpe.
    import the servers HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry tree to a new key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE e.g test.

navigate to this keys..

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Mouclass]
    look for startype, if it set to 4, change to 1

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Kbdclass]
    look for startype, if it set to 4, change to 1

Unimatrix

7. Kallex

Kallex Registered Member

Hi!

I faced similar problem when I "repaired" my XP installation. In my case though it was only USB devices that didn't function, the old PS/2 luckily functioned.

No safe mode helped here... nothing. The devices worked all the way up to Windows Boot (I could use them in BIOS, as well as windows boot chooser), but then died.

The thing was caused by somewhat malfunctioning USB device drivers... not that Windows displayed them malfunctionign. The solution was to take Device Manager and simply delete the USB controllers from there and let Windows rediscover them.

Then magically the USB started to work and the devices were found again without any problems.

Not sure if this is the case in your situation, when you cannot control the server even with non-USB peripherals.

Kalle

8. Unimatrix

Unimatrix Registered Member

Hello,
    i had the same problem and this is my solution.

If you get no mouse + keyboard input wait a few minutes and then shutdown the system!!!

I used the BartBE boot cd to get the Registry from restored system.

Change "Start" from 4 (disable) to 2 (system).

Attached Files:

• reg.jpg
      reg.jpg
      File size:
      151 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  9. vinnie_tono

vinnie_tono Registered Member

hello,

Facing the save problem here on the same server, and waiting an answer from ATI. But could you provide me by any change the iso image of the boot cd? In that case i can move on with the problem...

10. DST18

DST18 Registered Member

Better late than never, but thanks to all the above posters for your comments and guidance.

I applied all of the suggestions, (including many from Acronis support) however the HP server stubbornly refused to recognise the mouse and keyboard.
    I did eventually find a solution, but It wasn't as elegant as Acronis had led me to believe.
    After completing the Universal Restore, I booted the server using the original Win2000 (SBS2000) installation CD and selected the "repair existing installation" option from the setup menu.
    The repair operation took some time and I remember thinking that it was overwriting all sorts of settings that would require lengthy reconfiguration.

As it turned out, after the repair I rebooted the server which then came up with a fully functioning mouse & keyboard!
    The original settings had remained intact and after some further testing the server was returned to production. It has been rock solid ever since.

Well, almost...
    I discovered later that any HP-supplied Matrox video driver dated earlier than December 2006 caused the server to randomly lock up to the off switch.
    I initially thought this was due to a faulty Acronis Restore or repair operation. It turned out to be simply extremely poor quality control by HP.
    They released the video driver which caused the ML150 to lock up solid and
    took at least six months to fix it.
    There must have been hundreds of Admins driven insane with this problem alone during the latter half of 2006! But that's another story...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.