ATI vs. FDISR in space

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ErikAlbert, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

1st part is good news. I think the solution to the 2nd part is equally easy, and if you've a mind you can test it. Just be sure before taking any images with FDISR installed, that you DISable preboot. I suspect it's just that easy.

Pete

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I've done that test for the 2nd part too, just to be sure, I don't like half work.

Here are the results of the "Disable Pre-boot Test".

1. I had already a system partition with FDISR and with MBR
    2. This time I disabled the Pre-boot right before doing a restore with ATI.
    3. I restored a system partition without FDISR and without MBR (the short procedure with ATI)
    4. When the restore was done the computer rebooted, but right before starting Windows it showed a bunch of zeros in the left upper corner on a black screen, but no FDISR Pre-boot Screen.
    The zero-screen disappeared too quickly to read it completely and Windows started normally after that.
    5. I rebooted again and the zero-screen, didn't appear again and Windows started normally.

I took the opportunity to re-do the "Enable Pre-Boot Test" and it worked again.
    So it seems to work in both ways as you expected.

Conclusion
    This means I can always restore a system partition without restoring the MBR, when I use Acronis True Image.
    1. I only have to enable Pre-boot AFTER the restoration with FDISR to recover the true FDISR Pre-boot Screen OR
    2. I only have to disable Pre-boot BEFORE the restoration without FDISR to remove the false FDISR Pre-boot Screen.
    I think this will work, no matter what image backup software you use. What do you think Peter? :)

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  3. Peter2150

First of all yes I think you are right. My good friend Dallen is testing this with IFW.

Actually they key also is to disable preboot before taking the image. Then in combination with disabling preboot before restoring over a partition with FDISR should solve all the problems.

I have to tell you I appreciate your testing. I was getting worried that I had 3 images tucked away that were not really worth anything. This testing has confirmed they are fine and what we need to do on restore. It also reconfirms my feeling that FDISR becomes a powerful backup tool. With the archives it really doesn't matter how old the image is, and refreshing archives is so fast. Beautiful combo. Thanks for the testing my friend.

Pete

4. ErikAlbert

Thanks Peter, but I was also interested to solve this problem and I hope that other FDISR-users learned from this thread as well.
    Now I can move on with my tests for refreshing snapshots, because this is entirely new to me and that possibility does NOT exist in Acronis True Image as far as I know.

5. Peter2150

In ATI all you can do is take incrementals or differential images. since I defrag frequently, I found this took just as long and they were almost as big as the full image. Hence to keep it simple I always just take a full image. You will love how fast the snapshots and particularily the snapshots refresh.
    Look forward to hearing about what you do.

Pete

6. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Well, it's good that this is all being confirmed again as I have posted a couple of different routes to the simple fix for both an ATI restore and an IFW restore having resulted in a no-good MBR before. I guess I just don't understand all the mystery. It's not sour grapes I'm voicing, just a little frustration.:blink:

7. ErikAlbert

crofttk,
    I have no idea what you mean with mystery.
    The original purpose of this thread was to show how much space FDISR requires, compared with ATI. In other words the DARK side of FDISR.

The thread got off topic when I had troubles with restoring images of ATI, because I have two versions of my system partition.
    1. One without FDISR, the one I use to do my job, my hobbies, ...
    2. One with FDISR, the one I use to test FDISR, because I don't know what FDISR really is. Peter knows FDISR, I don't.

By restoring these images, I lost my FDISR Pre-boot Screen or I got a false FDISR Pro-boot Screen and I wanted to solve this problem first, before I continued with my other tests and learning FDISR
    My assumption in the beginning was that ATI always restored my partition including the MBR, but that wasn't true. ATI doesn't restore the MBR automatically unless you tell ATI to restore the MBR.
    So I fixed my problem with restoring the partition and MBR with ATI.
    Meanwhile Peter was thinking of another solution, after all Peter knows FDISR for a much longer period than me. I'm working with FDISR only 3 days.

The bottom line is that you don't need to fix the MBR or to restore the MBR.
    The solution is within FDISR itself by enabling or disabling the pre-boot at the right moment, no matter what image backup software you are using. That's all.

8. Peter2150

Hi Crofttk

I can't remember your posts, but would like to review them. Where were they.

Pete

9. Peter2150

Hi Erik

One last test with the ATI vs FDISR I'd be very curious about. Essentially repeat the quickest recovery test, only take the image from within windows instead of with the recovery disk itself. This mode of imaging is usually quicker, people question if it is as reliable.

Pete

10. ErikAlbert

I'm not sure, I understand you and what exactly you want me to test. Maybe my English isn't good enough.

There are two ways to recover an image with Acronis True Image.

1. The Acronis Bootable Rescue CD is only needed in exceptional ABNORMAL circumstances.
    If Acronis True Image itself isn't available anymore to restore an image, whatever the reason may be, then you will need the Rescue CD to recover images.
    The most extreme test, I've done was a zero-ed harddisk, which contained my system partition [C:] AND data partition [D:].
    In other words, I created a situation, where I lost literally EVERYTHING, except my .tib-files on my second harddisk.
    So that was a real thriller and the Rescue CD recovered both partitions without any problems.

2. As long ATI itself is still available and working on your system partition, you don't need the Rescue CD.
    I already know that the recovery of a system partition image with ATI lasts much longer than with FDISR.
    So FDISR is the fastest one of both without any doubts.

So my guess is, that you want to know if FDISR is as reliable as ATI, because FDISR is so fast?
    I suppose you mean a restore with FDISR from a .arx-file?

I wonder HOW I'm going to check the reliability of both. Any suggestions?
    Compare the "used space" in BYTES of the system partition after running each of them ?

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  11. Peter2150

Hi Erik

I wasn't talking about the recovery process. I quess my question is how have you been taking the images. Using the recovery CD or from within Windows itself?

Pete

12. ErikAlbert

How? By clicking on "Backup" in the main menu of ATI or Rescue CD.
    The backup function doesn't work on the Rescue CD in the trial version, but it works in the paid version.

13. Peter2150

Okay. So from that I assume you have taken all of your images from within windows as oppposed to the recovery CD. Therefore you have been doing what I was curious about. I try if I have the time to take images using the CD's but it definitely takes longer.

Pete

14. ErikAlbert

In normal circumstances, I use nothing but ATI in Windows for taking backups, never the Rescue CD.
    But USING is not the same for me as TESTING.
    If you use ATI normally you will never find out, what ATI is capable of, because you probably won't have extreme situations.
    I had to create these situations ON PURPOSE to test ATI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.