ATI recognizes USB HDD to make bkup but can't find at boot to restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rbs, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbs

rbs Registered Member

IBM T23, W2K, 20GB internal drive, 256MB, updated & apparently running fine -- I can make an image on external USB drive with ATI while running in Windows, browse the image, no problem. But when I boot to the rescue CD (which goes fine) the only partition Acronis sees on the USB drive is another one on that same disk which has photos on it. The drive has three partitions, one for music, one for photos, and one for backup. ATI only sees the photo partition for some reason. This is only at boot using the rescue CD. Any ideas? I chose the option for the rescue CD that has all the drivers. I am using build 903, just bought it. o_O

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rbs,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

The problem is very strange because if you can see the partition on the USB drive that you can see the drive. And it means that all the partitions on that drive should be visible. Could you please clarify how you found that it is the partition with photos that is accessible? Is you conclusion based on the drive letters? Could you please label each partition in the system and then boot with Acronis Bootable CD to be absolutely sure which partitions are recognized with the CD?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. rbs

rbs Registered Member

OK, I did that and noticed message while booting: "ACPI: could not use ECPT Loading Please wait" then it went on to boot into the Acronis screen. The partitions recognized are A: (why -- no A: drive mounted) B: Removable Drive which is the USB drive, it expands to one partition "Music" but the "Photo" and "Image" partitions do not show (I had that wrong in the first post -- it was "Music" showing. All the mp3s are there by name.) C: is there and D: is correctly identified as the CD drive. I can still browse the image from Windows. When I made the image it was verified -- could it still be corrupt and therefore not seen?

Thanks, Reid :(

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

In Windows, give each of the partitions on the external drive a name. Play it safe, and use names without spaces of 11 characters or less like USB-Music, USB-Photos, etc.

Use CHKDSK to check each partition to be sure there are no errors.

Reboot with the Recovery CD and look for the names of the partitions and disregard the drive letters assigned.

5. rbs

rbs Registered Member

OK, did that -- the partitions were named already but to play it safe I renamed them short names. I ran CHKDSK long scan on each one and they came up OK. I looked at them in Acronis and browsed the images OK (under Windows.) Then booted into Acronis using the boot CD but had same situation as before -- Acronis sees only the Music partition on the USB external HDD.

I told you about the error message I was getting when booting from the CD: "ACPI: could not use ECDT". Well I googled that and got some Linux sites referring to the embedded controller on IBM T-2x models. Recommended updating the BIOS and Embedded Controller to the latest versions. So checked mine and found them several versions out of date. Got the latest BIOS [1AET62WW (1.1:cool:] and Embedded Controller Program Update [1.06a (1AHT23WW)] and applied them successfully.

Now when I boot from the Acronis boot CD I no longer get the ACPI error. But when I try to access the image on the external USB drive here is what I see:

My Computer
    +3.5 Floppy (A:)
    +Removeable Drive (B:)
    +Music
    All my MP3 files
    +IBM Preload (C:)
    +CD Drive (D:)
    +Computers Near Me

Acronis still does not see the other two partitions on what it calls B:, just the Music one, complete with all the MP3 files.

Could it be the drive? 30GB Toshiba in a USB2 enclosure. I have tried it plugged into both the built in USB1.1 port and in a PC Card USB2 adapter. Same result with each method.

Thanks, Reid

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rbs,

First of all, please download and install the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot your PC from this CD and see if the problem still persists.

Please also try the "acpi=off noapic" workaround as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the problem still persists with the latest build of Acronis True Image 8.0 then please create Acronis Report and Linux System Information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also do the following:

- Launch Acronis Report Utility once again and select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed
    with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for
    report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy;
    - Rename the report created from under Windows to report_win.txt and report created using the bootabale floppy to report_diskette.txt.

Please keep your external USB hard drive connected while creating these reports and sysinfo.txt file.

Send all the collected files to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.