ATI, is this hardware or software problems?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    My pc got some problem. When I tried to re-start the opening boot-screen looks fuzzy and I could not clearly see the words in the black screen. then when I log-in, it crashed. the caused was the atidvag. I just then enters safe mode and uninstall the ati software driver program and all ati softwares in my pc, I even tried to delete all of the ati dll's in the windows/system32 folder..but to my surprise all of those ati dll just return like magic, so I just leave it there and just uses registry mechanic to clean up all ati craps left in. ...then I visited the site of ati (net cafe) and downloaded their latest ati driver program and installed it on my pc. but still, after re-boot, the problem was still the same, the black boot-screen was still fuzzy and letters and words on it was hard to read..but this time no crashes....I can enter to my desktop ....but theres some color streak like I was painting on my pc everytime I move my cursor. The screeen page looks bit dark and dont look good. I check everthng and its all running and installed right, but still the color and blurry boot-screen was still there. When I tried using Firefox browser it looks like the screen was waving like an ocean surf, its not stable.

Hope you can help. I already installed the latest ati driver with its requirement but still the problem persist. What's the possible problem on this?

Do I need to buy a new video card graphic accelerator?

Pls help...:rolleyes: :(

2. xheffalumpx

xheffalumpx Registered Member

I would boot up into Safe Mode and use a nice free program called Driver Cleaner, which should delete everything related to ATI driver. Then reboot and try installing the drivers again. If you're not having any good luck with the newest ones try some older version?

But I'd also consider you might be having some kind of hardware failure, maybe something is overheating? Those graphics anomalies don't sound like typical driver problem... can you try another card? Or try this one in another computer? Perhaps try a different monitor as well. Take it step by step and try to narrow down the possibilities.

3. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

A couple of years ago I had what sounds like the same problem your experiencing, in my case it turned out to be the card itself, new card no problems. Mind you before you rush out and buy a new one you might just try reseating the old one, surprising how many times just doing that can fix card problems, or as xheffalumpx says try that card in another computer if possible. Good luck, and may the process of elimination be short and painless for you.:thumb:

4. sweater

Hhmmnn...just curious, how long or what's the average life-span of a video card graphic accelerator before it needs to be replaced with a new one? :rolleyes:

I have ATI Radeon 9550 (RV 350) video card....:cautious:

Are ATI more better than Navidia or any other video card accelerator out there? What do you think? o_O :rolleyes:

My Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8VT880-L VIA PT 880 + 8237/ATX P4 Socket 478/AGP 8X

If my video card is the real culprit, then there's no other way but to get a new one. If ever I bought a new video graphic accelerator, or changed into another one...:blink: ....what do you think is the best video card graphic accelerator suited for my pc motherboard? ;) :rolleyes: o_O ...of course, not too expensive and not too cheap..:D

5. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

Ah that's the old how long is a piece of string question ;) I don't know, I've had ones that just keep working and a couple that have died earlier than I would have liked, although none have died on my side of the warranty period. I think the summer heat in my part of the world, and probably yours, is a real hardware killer. Also power outages, or brown outs even worse, are big this time of year in the storm and cyclone period don't help. I bought a very good UPS about 3 years ago, probably the one of best investments I've made as I think I've only had one hardware failure over 2 computers since then.

I had an ATI Radeon 9550 it just kept working, sold that box earlier this year and as far as I know it's still working fine.

Ask 100 people this one and you'll get 150 answers, after using both I prefer ATI myself never had a problem with performance or drivers with them, but I'm sure if you ask an Nvidea person you'll get the same from them.

I'd be more worried about your motherboard, I know from first hand experience if your Socket 478 Motherboard dies your in trouble, at least in my part of the world, easier to find a hen with a good set of teeth than one of those, then of course when you replace that it's new everything else with it, including a good chance your old AGP video card .................. it's all PCI Express now. :mad:

Is there a computer store near you that might test that card for you.

6. sweater

Can you give me the exact download site for this totally free program - Driver Cleaner? o_O ...

Coz googling and searching it, most of what I see is paid versions....or maybe it will not cleaned up all if it's only a trial versions....:doubt:

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.