ATI and msvcp71.dll

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by shieber, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shieber

shieber Registered Member

A curious thing. When I uninstall ATI -- and who hasn't that's recently tried ATI 11 -- on the next reboot, Adobe gives an error message that it can't find msvcp71.dll. That file, iirc, is the MS Visual C++ 7.1 Runtime Library (which comes with .NET 2003). Reinstalling Adobe Photoshop or ATI seems to prevent the error.

Apparently Adobe Photoshop, which loads services at boot-up, and ATI both link to that file and uninstalling goofs things up. Anyone know why ATI links to that file?

2. GAN

GAN Registered Member

msvcp71.dll is from the Microsoft C Runtime Library and is needed by a lot of applications. The big question is why a uninstall of ATI delete that file which i assume is the case. A reinstall of a application like Photoshop will install the file again. If you installed several applications you will probably find msvcp71.dll several places on your harddisk so what could have solved your problem is to copy that file into your windows\system32 directory again instead of a reinstallation of Photoshop.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

My understanding is that MS recommends a program distributor should "not put the file under system file
    protection. If that were to happen, only the operating system could service these files and doing so would be incredibly difficult for app compatibility.
    It's just better that every application use its own version of these DLLs by storing them with the rest of the files in the application directory. That way the application is guaranteed to remain working."

Acronis doesn't appear to store a version in it program files directory and apparently Adobe commits the same program faux pas.

4. GAN

GAN Registered Member

It seems like Acronis does not place this file into the Acronis program directory, but Adobe Photoshop does so don't understand why a uninstall of TI would stop Photoshop from working. Also on all my computers i got this file under the system32 directory and is placed there by Microsoft software/updates. On a computer where i uninstalled TI11 i can still find this file under the system32 directory so the uninstall did not remove this file on my computer. There should not be a problem placing this file in the system32 directory.

But i agree that Acronis should install this file into the program directory and not system32.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.