ATI 9800XT problems.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by `mishimasan`, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. `mishimasan`

`mishimasan` Registered Member

Just wanted to tell you all, if you're planning on buying an ATI 9800XT, don't, because you may aswell spend a little more and get the X800. Reason?

Check out this beauty of a screenshot. This is what happens when you start up Windows (sometimes, not all the time), unless you FLASH the GFX card BIOS with a BIOS they don't even give you the instructions for! I mean comeon, who the in the hell can flash GFX BIOS if they have never done it before?!?! Pfft.

Anyway, I've had my card for ages, and haven't flashed the BIOS because I'm too scared, so I have the BIOS on my drive, can anyone help me out finding some darn instructionso_O

Much appreciated,

`MishimaSan`

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

3. `mishimasan`

Thanks a lot bro, I'm off to check it out now.

4. `mishimasan`

Very nice. Very, very nice. Now I don't get that damn start-up black screen problem anymore.

Thanks a lot.

5. Infinity

you're welcome.

enjoy the 9800xt :D :D :D

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

GeForce 6600GT/Radeon 9800XT...INFINITY and 'mishimasan' are actually using two products which heavily compete against each other...and my 5900 will only get to this level in 'The Way Its Meant To Be Played' games...

7. Infinity

I was thinking the same yesterday...kinda funny however 6600gt still takes higher scores in 3dmark03 (8300) while 9800xt still is 100$ more expensive ATI needs soon a new card in the midrange segment to cover the whole it left while making the best cards at the moment (x850xt pe)

8. Firecat

INFINITY,

I think that have the X700 XT for that....GeForce6 has Shader Model 3.0 which is their main point and helps performance a lot.

The problem with the older GeForce FX series was that their architecture was so radically different that if somebody wrote a graphics engine optimised for GeForce FX without optimising for other cards too, the end result would be that all other cards would drop in performance while GeForce FX performance would increase.

Its a pipeline issue...an optimisation for one gfx card will always disbenefit another one.

9. Infinity

true bout the pipelines but the x700 is still more expensive then the 6600gt. ati is far more expensive for the same results.

I allways had nvidea, but now I am switching to ati, will purchase I think the x800xl (not the xt) but I need to sell mine first.

and to be honest I could still play hl2 with my old fx5200 but its not the same, you can see it in high resolutions.

your card is not that bad actually, I believe it makes 3500 in 3dmark03 so you could easily play all games in the world (not on the same time :))

take care K.

10. Infinity

your card is would have crashed my fx5200 and think of it like this, you're 16 years old...when I had your age I didn't had a computer at all, it is just that since I work I can do this all, if I didn't work I still had my fx5200

Inf.

11. Firecat

Actually, my card is able to pump out 5500 in 3DMark03...which is quite good I think...
    I'm not 16 years old...I'm about to be 13.

Yes, I am very happy with my 5900 and it has served me very well...except in HL2 where it has to run in DirectX 8 mode.

Infinity, the time is not right to buy either ATI or NVIDIA right now. NVIDIA is plagued with video (DVD) problems, ATI has OpenGL problems.

I'd say that you stick to what you have right now. Both companies' driver teams are working hard trying to catch up with their latest hardware. Wait for some 6 months or so.

Regards,
    Firecat

12. Firecat

Also, in some cases, NVIDIA has a temperature problem...GeForce 6 users saw a rise of up to 10 degrees using the 7x.xx drivers...which is why NVIDIA is being cautious releasing new drivers.

ATI on the other hand is doing very little to improve their condition in OpenGL, and their drivers mostly contain game fixes.

13. `mishimasan`

Holy crap Firecat... you're about to be 13o_O Wow. You're a pretty intelligent (if not knowledgeable) little fella. Congrats on that :)

14. Firecat

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.