ATI 9.1(3832) errors imaging to NAS drive. MS backup works fine. Help please

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ashler, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashler

ashler Registered Member

I have upgraded my ATI 9.1(3832) and i'm still getting this error. The backup never starts, just sits there then gives the following error
    Failed to write data to the archive file.
    A possible reason might be poor media quality. : None

A possible reason might be poor media quality. : None: User replied: oK

Operation with partition "D:" was terminated.
    Details:
    Write error (0x70004)
    Tag = 0x0
    Error writing the file. (0x40003)
    function = "WriteFileNoCache"
    Tag = 0x7CEB2CDC9FB1212B
    The semaphore timeout period has expired. (0xFFF0)
    code = FFFFFFFF80070079
    Tag = 0xBD28FDBD64EDB816

I can uninstall acronis and install it to another W2k3 server in the same rack and it works without a hitch. Move it back to the W2k3 server and it errors out. I can run a MS backup on this machine to the NAS without error. This server is running exchange so if there were any connection issues I'd hear about it. The NAS is also used by multiple machines so i'm sure there are no connectivity issues there.

I have seen that there are a few threads like this on the boards but no resolutions. Has anyone gotten this to work?

2. ashler

ashler Registered Member

Possible fix for failed writes to netowrk drives. (0x70004)

I think i found the problem. My server was getting the following error whenever I tried to image to a NAS server.

A possible reason might be poor media quality. : None

A possible reason might be poor media quality. : None: User replied: oK

Operation with partition "D:" was terminated.
    Details:
    Write error (0x70004)
    Tag = 0x0
    Error writing the file. (0x40003)
    function = "WriteFileNoCache"
    Tag = 0x7CEB2CDC9FB1212B
    The semaphore timeout period has expired. (0xFFF0)
    code = FFFFFFFF80070079
    Tag = 0xBD28FDBD64EDB816

there were no connections issues with this server. Even MS backup worked.

then I noticed in my event log on the server that kept getting the errors the following error

Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT N is set up for auto-negotiation but the link
    partner is not configured for auto-negotiation. A duplex mismatch may occur.

The other test server that I was using for troubleshooting (that was working just fine) just happened to have the NIC cards set to Full Duplex (same cards, same hardware). I set my NIC cards to full duplex on the production system and the system is now imaging like a champ.

The wierd part is that this is a production exchange server with hundreds of users. There have been no reports of problems. No complaints, nothing. Even MS backup worked. I'm not sure why Acronis has a problem with this. Seems to be some kind of timeout issue on the network.

I'm not sure if the problem was with the auto negotiate not setting the cards to match the network or if Acronis just need full duplex set. I will try some other tests with other servers, changing the settings to half-duplex. But for now the server is running fine.

I've seen this error on here a few times so I'm posting a new thread to see if this fixes the problem for other people.

post up if this helps. Maybe Tech support can look at this if there seems to be a pattern.

hope this helps

3. popechild

popechild Registered Member

Re: Possible fix for failed writes to netowrk drives. (0x70004)

Unfortunately, doesn't seem to do anything for me. A couple of questions for you:

1) How is your Backup Location defined? Directly pointed to the networked drive, or do you have the drive mapped as a local drive?

2) Were you able to backup anything at all to the networked before you made this change?

3) Is your scheduled task set to run automatically, or did you set it to "do not start automatically"?

I haven't seen the error you're getting. My issue is that I can backup to a network drive fine, but if the Backup Location is a mapped drive, it only works if it's set to "do not start automatically." If it's set to run automatically, it will always fail, even if I run it manually.

If the drive is not mapped as a local drive (ie. I point the Backup Location directly to the networked drive), I have no problems running the task whether it's set to "do not start automatically" or not, but the Backup Policy no longer works.

4. ashler

ashler Registered Member

the drive is mapped locally ( i will pop in and verify that one )

The first backup I did was manual, the second was scheduled

Before the change I was not able to back up anything to any network drive.

On your problem, Could the network drive be dropping out? Maybe in the before image commands put a simple command to copy a file to that drive. This way if it fails you know its a mapping issue, If it works and the img fails then its back to acronis.

just a thought

5. popechild

popechild Registered Member

Nope. I can backup whatever I want to whatever drive I want externally, whether mapped or not, except in one of two cases, in which case it fails every time:

1) I can't do it as a "scheduled backup" to a mapped drive (Y:)
    2) I can't use any Backup Policy if it's NOT a mapped drive. It recognizes the limitations I've set, but doesn't do anything about it and they keep piling up.

Since my whole goal is to do scheduled automatic backups without having to remember to always delete the old ones first so I don't run out of room, this leaves me no options that will work for me at all.

I really hope a mod will drop in here at some point.

6. sententia

sententia Registered Member

Hi All,
    I changed my NIC settings to full duplex to no avail, but upon further investigation realised that another Disk on my SAN was not displaying the issue of large images failing.

The difference being that the disk displaying the error was completely empty, where as the other disk had some MS disk scan directories with result logs...taking the punt I creates a temp file of no more than a K in size and run the backup again....Problem Solved!!!

This is awfully strange, and I don't know whether it is a Windoze issue or Acronis, but the problem is removed if there is an existing file on the disk.

regards,
    PP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.