ATI 2009 & Vista Standard User

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mprezgot, Dec 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mprezgot

mprezgot Registered Member

Unable to run ATI2009 from within Standard User in Vista. It prompts me for ADMIN password (which is OK), I can then setup my desired manual backup and after I click to proceed nothing happens. It looks like none of the tasks would run from whithin Standard User even as the program itself was started as ADMIN. I would have to actually log-off as standard user and log-on as ADMIN and then run my backup. This is strange because previously I could run ATI-11 on Standard User desktop as ADMIN without any problems.

2. Faust

Faust Registered Member

I run it from administrator account and I steer well clear of passwords. ATI 2009 works really well especially on a Vista machine. However, previous versions of ATI have given me nothing but grief when used with password access and I have read posts that 2009 is prone to problems also in certain circumstances.

3. mprezgot

I used to run ATI 11 from Standart User account (run as ADMIN) and it worked great. At least I could do something else while backup was run (which could take a while). Now with ATI 2009 I can't do it - I will actually have to log on as ADMIN to run it. Looks like we are going backwards with functionality :thumbd:

4. mprezgot

I think I found the reason why I can't execute any backup while running ATI 2009 as ADMIN from Standard User desktop. ATI executes it as Task. If the task is not scheduled there is no way to set it to run with different credentials (in this case run as ADMIN and provide password). Strange why they would design it this way - task was created already running ATI 2009 as ADMIN?!
    The way around it is for now to schedule running task a minute or so from now and then enter different credentials plus password.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  5. 62cwil

62cwil Registered Member

I know this is a stupid question but on chat with tech yesterday they kept using the work credentials and I see it a lot on this forum. Can you tell me exactly what credentials are.

6. mprezgot

To run a program with "different credentials" means to run it as another user. If your computer is set up with more than one user you can even if you are logged in to Windows as one user u can right-click a programs icon and chose option to run it as different user. It is advisable for safety reasons to create Standard (also called Limited) user accounts for everyday computing and use full or Administrator account only occasionally for maintenance or software installing. And even then you don't really have to log-off from your normal user account and log-on as Administrator - you just run a task or program with Administrator credentials (as above: Run as Administrator).

7. 62cwil

62cwil Registered Member

Thank, I am the only one on this machine and I am the administrator so I assume anytime I run I am the administrator. Even though their are task scheduling problems I have been able to run without password.*puppy*

8. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

No; not true with Vista. All user accounts (including those that are members of the Administrators group) run as standard users. When elevated privileges are required, Vista prompts for permission (UAC prompt). To gain elevated privileges, Administrators only need to click a button. Standard users need to type in the administrator's password.

This is a big change in modus operandi from XP, where an administrative account runs with administrative privileges all of the time. While convenient, this also means that any virus, worm, or other form of malware also runs with administrative privileges and can do anything that it wants with your system. This has been the Achilles heel of Microsoft operating systems from day one.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mprezgot,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Try to create a new account with administrator rights (Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> User Account), then login under this account and use login and password of the account to schedule task in Acronis True Image Home 2009.

In case the issue persists contact Acronis support and submit technical request using this link or contact us via Live Chat

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

10. mprezgot

Acronis technical support was not much of a help in this regard. Here is a snapshot of my extensive research of this problem and a temporary solution:
    ATI Home 2009 has a split functionality/modules: you create and schedule a task in one module, then you execute a previously created task in another module. Unfortunatelly with ATI 2009 task execution doesn't inherit privilleges from main module, what it means is when you start program from within Windows Standard User UAC asks for Administrator's password and runs the program as Administrator. All perfect so far. Then after you setup backup task but in Scheduling you chose "Do not schedule - Run this task manually", the task will not execute because it doesn't inherit elevated Administrator's privilleges but tries to run as current (Standard) user and it is a "no go"! Still more - this task's owner in Unscheduled Tasks is shown as Unknown!
    Workaround to this problem would be:
    1. Run ATI Home 2009 backup while logged as Administrator - not desirable for many reasons, or
    2. Run ATI Home 2009 backup from within Standard User account, provide Administrator's password at the start of the program, setup backup task and then instead of using in Scheduling an option "Do not schedule" - "Run this task manually" change scheduling to "Once only" - "Run this task once only". Schedule it to run in 2 or 3 min. later and at the bottom under "Run with credentials", enter Administrator's User name and Password. This way in few minutes such setup task would execute without problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.