ATI 2009 freeze half way through full backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by artpav, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. artpav

artpav Registered Member

Hi, this is what's going on:

- I have computer with PS/2 mouse and keyboard plugged in
    - Western Digital MyBook External HDD connected via USB, other USB peripherals disconnected
    - I press F11 to boot from Secure Zone
    - the dialog with the word 'quiet' pops up, I press ok, since I don't know what that is
    - I check drives, my external hard drive shows up only after a few minutes
    - I checkmark partitions and folders to backup, point to external HDD choose full backup, zip format, press proceed.
    - the backup is going well, shows as 8 hours left, I leave it overnight
    - next morning the screen is frozen with '4 hours left', external HDD is idle
    - the piece of backup looks like this 'MyBackup.z01'
    - same story for 2 day in a row, help!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Have you run CHKDSK C: /R and CHKDSK d: /R where d: is the drive letter of your MyBook?

3. artpav

artpav Registered Member

Is R stands for recover? I don't want to recover, I just want to do a backup

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  4. jmk94903

Tghe CHKDSK program is part of Windows. It is used to correct logical and physical errors that develop on drives. Errors are a reason for TI to stop during a backup.

CHKDSK /R checks the boot drive after a reboot but can check other drives in Windows. The /R parameter specifies checks for several types of logical errors and then also checks the drive for bad sectors. If errors are found, CHKDSK tries to repair them. If bad sectors are found, it moves the data to a good sector if possible and marks the sector so it is not used again.

To run CHKDSK, click the Start button then click Run. Type CHKDSK C: /R in the Run box and click OK. You will get a message that CHKDSK will run on the next boot. Reboot your computer. It will take up to an hour to run the full test on a large hard drive. Repeat the procedure to the second drive.

Give it a try.

5. artpav

artpav Registered Member

Thanks, I'm doing it now.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  6. artpav

artpav Registered Member

It worked! Checking 1TB mirrored MyBook took about 4 hours, 35 errors fixed. The fastest troubleshooting experience, thank you sir.

7. jmk94903

I'm delighted to have helped.

I assume that you can now successfully make full backups in the amount of time they used to take.

Have you validated at least a few backups to confirm that from the F11 (Linux) environment they validate successfully?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.