ATI 11 - Windows Update fails

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by chiem, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiem

chiem Registered Member

After installing ATI 11, I've noticed that my Windows Update installs now fail. The only error mentioned is "Code 8020000D", from Windows Update. Web searches seem to indicate that this has something to do with volume locking. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this ?

The only workaround I've found is to run the Windows Update shortly after a fresh reboot. I have daily ATI backups scheduled, and I'm not sure, but I think the Windows Update failures occur after the system has been up past a backup run.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello chiem,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Acronis software can't cause the mentioned issue, it appears to be a simple coincidence. You can use Google Search to find the references about this error.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

3. chiem

chiem Registered Member

Are you saying that ATI doesn't do any volume locking at all ?

4. Acronis Support

Hello chiem,

Acronis True Image locks the partitions when it is active, i.e. when you try to perform an operation.

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I'm pretty sure it only locks for the few seconds while it makes asnapshot of the drive so that it can back up the drive while yo are still using it.

This doesn't sound like an ATI problem -- and I don't think I've heard it poseted before any time in the last few years. Most liekly something is buggered in Windows and you should look to the MS web pages for update help -- whatever probs one can have with update, they probalbly all occured already and they can probably point to a simple fix (deleting some log files or such).

6. chiem

chiem Registered Member

Well, here's my history. I ran Vista 32 for about 6 months with daily updates, no problems. I normally leave my computer on 24/7. Then I purchased and installed ATI 11, and the windows updates started failing. About 2 months ago, I upgraded to Vista 64. For the first week, I didn't install ATI 11 and the windows updates were running fine again. Then I installed ATI 11, and they began failing again. Coincidence ?

I'm positive ATI has something to do with it, since the windows updates ran fine before it and they still run fine immediately after a reboot, but not after the machine has been up past a scheduled backup.

Searching online for this problem hasn't gotten me far. I've found that restarting both the BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) and the Windows Update services--in that order--"fixes" the problem after it starts failing. This avoids needing to reboot, but it's still annoying having to do this manually every time there's an update.

The Vista 32 I ran was the home premium edition and the Vista 64 I'm currently running is the ultimate edition, if that makes any difference.

7. Acronis Support

Hello chiem,

Here is the exact description of 8020000D code:

The destination file system volume is not available. Verify that another program, such as CheckDisk, is not running, which would lock the volume. When the volume is available, Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) will try again.

We have not experienced this error with our software. It might be conflict between other software installed on your PC (e.g. antiviral). Our software locks the drive to create a snapshot, as it was correctly mentioned by shieber. But This happens only during the backup creation itself. If you simply reboot your PC to install the updates - our software will not act.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

8. chiem

chiem Registered Member

Yes, I've searched for and read that description. chkdsk is not running, or anything similar to that when I run windows update. And as I've stated, rebooting allows the windows updates to continue successfully. However, I shouldn't have to do so on a nearly daily basis.

The fact that it fails only after I installed ATI and ran a backup suggests that ATI isn't unlocking the volume correctly after a backup. Is there any way to verify this from ATI's end ?

9. Acronis Support

Hello chiem,

You can try to uninstall Acronis True Image temporally and monitor the system for several days. You can perform the backup operations from Acronis Booting Rescue Media, this will not influence the operating system functionality.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

10. chiem

chiem Registered Member

I uninstalled ATI a couple of days ago. There was a Windows Update today, and that worked correctly.

11. chiem

chiem Registered Member

There haven't been any Windows Updates for the past 2 weeks, until today. 7 updates installed correctly. As with my past experience without ATI installed, is this enough proof for you that Windows Update works without ATI and breaks with it ?

12. Acronis Support

Hello chiem,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

Please download free trial version of Acronis True Image Home 2009 and test it, see if the issue persists. Let us know the results.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

13. woolooloo

woolooloo Registered Member

I'm having the same issue as chiem. I am using Acronis True Image Home 2009.

14. chiem

chiem Registered Member

Ok, I've been on ATI Home 2009 for over a week now. There were a couple of recent Windows Updates, and they're failing with the same "code 8020000D" error as before with ATI 11.

15. Acronis Support

Hello chiem,

If you want to give the issue a closer investigation, please submit a request to Acronis Customer Central, Acronis Advantage — Support options are available here

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

16. chiem

chiem Registered Member

Hi Oleg,

I'm pretty sure I've submitted a request using the web form before, but I've done so again.

17. Acronis Support

Hello chiem,

Thank you for taking time to contact us.

By pure accident I saw your request. The appropriate engineer will take care about it shortly.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

18. rxtein

rxtein Registered Member

I am experiencing the very same issue. If I uninstall TI Home 2009,my Windows updates work. Also I have Windows Media Center and my program guide will not update with TI installed. As soon as I uninstall the True Image software everything works fine.

PS-I tried what Chiem reported, "I've found that restarting both the BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) and the Windows Update services--in that order--"fixes" the problem after it starts failing" does indeed fix the problem temporarily.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.