ATI 11 Home trial + Vista Ultimate x64 = winload.exe "is missing or corrupt"

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by spectralkinesis, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spectralkinesis

spectralkinesis Registered Member

Last night, I installed what I thought to be the latest version of ATI11 to do a test-backup of my boot partition. I had downloaded it not too long ago. I want to move from 2 x 74GB drives in a RAID0 to 2 x 150GB drives in a raid1.

I installed, rebooted, and then ran the software. All ATI11 could 'see' was my 1TB RAID array, not my 2 x 74GB WD740GD's in RAID0. I checked the acronis site and thought "huh, no problem, uninstall this version and install the latest and greatest from the website"

No dice. Uninstall, reboot and I get:
    Code:
    File: \windows\system32\winload.exe
    Info: application is missing or corrupt.
    Friggin sweet. I was hoping that I'd be able to use ATI11 to back up my OS in case of a catastrophic failure such as this. Ironic to say the least.

I can't tell you what version I was running, as it's currently on the BOOT partition that is currently inaccessible.

I tried the repair function on the Windows Vista x64 install DVD. I try to add the driver for the onboard RAID controller, only it either doesn't properly detect the hardware or installed operating system.

System Specs:
    Vista Ultimate 64-Bit
    CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.2G
    Asus M3A
    4 x 2GB Patriot PC2-6400
    2 x WD740GD Raptors - RAID0
    VisonTek HD 3870 512MB
    Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1 SB0460 PCI
    PNY S-CURE SPU5103PPB PCI SATA Storage (RAID) Card
    5 x WD 320GB Caviar = 1192.09GB Formatted

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  2. spectralkinesis

So, after a little digging, I discovered that my boot partition is set up as a Dynamic disk.

Any ideas on how to convert it back to basic so I can restore winload.exe?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

4. spectralkinesis

I'm asking how to convert my DYNAMIC disk back to a BASIC disk. I don't have a backup to restore from. My operating system boot sequence has been broken by the use of your trial product, and I'm looking for some assistance with fixing this problem.

Suggesting I "use Acronis True Image Echo Workstation instead you'll be able to restore dynamic disk to the basic one." is of absolutely no assistance whatsoever. There is no back up of the Operating System I'm dealing with. With the boot sequence broken, I'm unable to *make* a backup to restore. Cart before the horse type situation here.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  5. Acronis Support

Hello spectralkinesis,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please try the following to restore the system functionality:

- Start Vista repair (from Vista DVD);
    - Load proper storage drivers for your drives;
    - From command prompt, use diskpart to import disks;
    - Then run startup repair.

Unfortunately, there is currently no guaranteed way to directly convert dynamic disks into basic ones.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. Twohype

Twohype Registered Member

I have seen the same situation using Vista 64bit Ultimate and a retail ATI 11 Home clone on a raid 0 ( 2*150 Raptor-X) system.

File: \windows\system32\winload.exe
    Info: application is missing or corrupt

The only way I can successfull clone is the do a system repair after I clone. It should noted that if I clone a 32bit system I have no issues at all, as I've been successfully cloning 32 bit system for months however updating to a 64 bit system is an issue with ATI 11 Home. Looks like maybe forced to use a different companies product if I strick with 64bit, oh well.

7. tony_dutta

tony_dutta Registered Member

Are you using an OEM version of VISTA 64BIT or a retail version? As far as I know there's a slight difference in the BCD of OEM version and that's why after clonning, a reapir is needed to fix it.

8. piotrpawl

piotrpawl Registered Member

I have exactly the same issue, but I am using Acronis True Image Echo Server build 8115 (currently the latest one) and I run it on HP ProLiant DL320 G5p server with SATA controller that has Windows 2008 Server 64-bit installed.

I described the issue here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=220572

So far Acronis Support haven't been interested in the issue at all.

9. Acronis Support

Hello piotrpawl,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please see my answer in the thread you created.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.