ATI 11 Full/Differential Setup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kru123, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kru123

kru123 Registered Member

Hello,

I am trying out ATI 11 and am unable to get expected results from a differential backup.

GOAL: Folders A, B, C. Full backup of A, B, C once per month and daily differentials of A, B, C on all other days.

The full backup has a destination file named Monthly.tib. The dailys have a destination filed named Daily.tib. Both Monthly.tib and Daily.tib exist in the same network folder.

Schedule: full backup on the 1st of each month at 2:00a. Daily backup is run daily at 11:00p. For the sake of this test/trial, I have been running them manually.

The full backup runs fine with expected results. The daily differential is the same size/data as the full. I have verified/reverified that the daily backup is set up as a differential.

I expected the differential to be substantially smaller than the full backup - isn't it supposed to be all changed data since the full was run?

Is there an issue with my backup destination files? Both Monthly.tib and Daily.tib exist in the same folder. The folder is a network location.

I have exhausted this forum and the documentation for a resolution to this. Acronis technical support has also been unhelpful (with the exception of sending me new code bits to try - build 8027).

Thank you,

Kevin.

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I don't do diffs or incrementals myself but my understanding is that they should go to the same folder as the original full. Otherwise the first diff will be a full and it will only become a diff when it runs a second time.

Xpilot

3. kru123

kru123 Registered Member

That is my understanding as well, and both the full and differential do go to the same network folder,

Full - \\fileserver\backup\Monthly.tib​
    Differential - \\fileserver\backup\Daily.tib​

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Mmm.. I feel that TI would recognise those two places as seperate. If they both had the same name I think that would do it.

Xpilot

5. kru123

kru123 Registered Member

Yes, my thought as well... however, if you do them to the same "name", then you have a single tib file, and the documentation states that restoring from differentials requires both the full and the latest differential - two files, versus incrementals which require the full and every incremental done after the full.

Clearly more testing is in order.

6. FrenchGuy

FrenchGuy Registered Member

Hello,

I am a new user of Acronis. After having made the same things as you did, I finally found that you must give the same .tib name to the full backup and to the differential backup. Let's say that in Acronis you name your full backup MyBackup.tib . After having created this full backup you will have the file MyBackup.tib in the backup location. Now if you wish to create a differential backup based upon the full backup MyBackup.tib, in Acronis you must name your differential backup MyBackup.tib too. When you will run this differential backup, you will get a file named MyBackup2.tib in your backup location. Running it again you will get a file named MyBackup3.tib and so on.

If you want to start a new series of backup based upon a new full backup, you will have to give a different name than MyBackup.tib to your new full backup, or otherwise place it in a different folder.

Another thing : don't put numbers at the end of a backup name, like MyBackup1.tib, you could get problems. ;)

7. kru123

kru123 Registered Member

I believe you are correct with the file names. I have done a bunch of testing that supports your thoughts.

I have posted a new message, subject "TIB file naming (Acronis Support please verify)" that goes into some detail.

Thanks for the insight.

Kevin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.