ATI 10 Home USB Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Solterra, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solterra

Solterra Registered Member

Hello,

Was caught once unable to boot into Win 2000 PE because trojan bypassd my virus checker and corrupted my windows system file. So after $110, that's fixed, but now I want to ghost my C: drive to an external 250 Gig USB External drive.

I just bought ATI 10 Home and now I'm seeing reviews that aren't so good. Things about the boot CD not seeing certain drives that contain the ghosted image.

Does v10 have any problems recognizing an external USB 2.0 dirive? Cause if it does, that defeats the whole purpose of ghosting the original c: drive in the first place. Forgive my ignorance if this has been asked before.

It just really concerns me.

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

It all depends on the chipset used by your external enclosure. Most will work though. And if it doesn't you can always make the BartPE cd with the Acronis Plugin which will work.

3. Solterra

Ralphie,

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll learn a lot more when I read the user manual. MY external drive is a Western Digital "My Book" 250 Gig "Essential Edition" USB 2.0 drive.

4. Ralphie

Search the forums here for MyBook ... I remember reading messages where users have a Mybook but I don't recall that their problems pertained to that.

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

The My Book will be fine. The only question is whether the USB chipset in your computer is well supported by the Linux environment used to restore the boot partition (C) and the Recovery CD.

The best test you could do (short of actually restoring an image to a hard drive) is to create the Recovery CD, boot from it, and make a backup image to your MyBook. If that takes a reasonable time, you've got excellent support. Validate the image while running the Recovery CD. Then boot into Windows and validate the image there. Backing up from within Windows should always be faster since the Windows USB drivers are optimized, but you will know roughtly what a restore will take if you need to do one.

6. Solterra

Thanks JMK, Evidently the backup software is on the Recovery CD that one makes? . . . and isn't just used to restore an image? It can make an image too? Shoulld it be a "cloned image" or a backup image?

7. Ralphie

In TI speak, a Clone is not an image, but a Backup is. Yes, the Rescue cd has the Backup, Clone and Recovery features.
    A Clone will give you instantly a bootable drive like your original. A Backup image has to be Recovered (Restored) to a hard drive which will then be bootable like the original.

8. Solterra

Thank you all.

9. Solterra

Jmk,

I just thought of a question after reading another answer you gave to someone else about the USB chipset for a USB external drive being recognized (or supported):

How can I find out the chipset number? for my motherboard?

Thanks for any info.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Solterra,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice that Acronis True Image 10.0 Home supports most USB drives from both Windows environment and Acronis Bootable Rescue Media (which uses embedded Linux drivers).
    You can learn more about how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home from the respective User's Guide.
    Please also see this FAQ article explaining the difference between Clone Disk and Backup approaches.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home to see if that helps. With the trial version of the product, you will be able to fully use the product for a period of 15 days. The only limitation of the trial version is that only restore function of the bootable media is available.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.