AtGuard Support Forums back online

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by elanplus2, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elanplus2

elanplus2 Registered Member

If anyone is still using AtGuard and needs technical support, the forums are back on line at http://www.atguard.net/support/forum

We were able to keep all the oringinal posts so you should be able to find answers to most of your questions by searching the archives. Unfortunately, we didn't have access to the original user database so none of the previous registrations were retained.

In the next few weeks, we will also post the AtGuard FAQs and user guides.

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Interesting to hear about this - I started using AtGuard back in '98 (yeesh, guess that makes me an Internet pensioner...;)) so it's good to hear that it has survived Symantec.

However the threats that firewalls have to counter have become more sophisticated (specifically malware termination and bypass attempts) so I'd suggest that AtGuard has a lot of catching up to do - finding a market niche not already addressed by 3 or 4 other products may be difficult also.

3. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

"Version 3.3 includes an MSI compliant installer for Windows XP and resolves the event logging defect on Windows XP."

Very good. It's certainly nice to see a truly lean and powerful program revived. If this beta run is successful, I don't doubt that there will be a slew of elder geeks returning to it.

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi elanplus2

... and welcome to Wilders :)

Good to see an AtGuard forum again and I look forward to seeing how the beta and any future development progresses.

Regards,

CrazyM

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Ahem! Middle-aged geeks if you please! :D

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Ahh Dashboard :D , iamapp -appbar

7. controler

controler Guest

Oh how I can't wait for the leaktest posters LOL

I am in

controler

8. noway

noway Registered Member

9. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

I ran AtGuard for years, I loved that is was one of the few firewalls with ignore rules which were great for logging, and that it had tons of filtering options, this program was years before its time compared to the competition, which was a handful of software companies. Now while some people are excited, I find it will be more of a geek toy unless many things are revamped to include basic things these days like crc/md5 checking which was compensated with 3rd party programs previously. They also need to move the rules out of the registry, and somehow encrypt the rules. Among other needed improvements....

I feel that it would be a huge project for the firewall to become as functional as Kerio 2.1.5 for just the firewall section, and if they are going that far, in the end this could become another Norton if not handled properly. If this project does more than just do minor updates to a few parts of the program that is....

10. gagman

gagman Registered Member

atguard 3.22 released around 1999
    atguard 3.3 relased (maybe) in 2006

I'm afraid of the number ! why not atguard 4 (or atguard 2006 !).

Seriously, let's wait for this, we will discuss this one after it is released.

11. noway

noway Registered Member

3.3 beta now available for download.

12. albjan

albjan Security Expert

Beta 3.3
    On XP all features are working.
    Nice to see that “old” dashboard again.

Albjan

13. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Albjan,... I see the forum is up,.. but not the website. Is there a download link for the firewall?

14. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Gerard

15. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

My god, this was the best FF i used centuries ago. Wasn't it bought by Symantec, or so? No legal issue to bring it up again?

16. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

WRQ didn't sell it, symantec had purchased the rights to use the code(lease) as far as I can remember, however after a couple years symantec basically removed almost all traces it used to be AtGuard, along with they made many changes/additions to the program.

As far as the project goes you might ask in their forums, however I'm sure they had to contact WRQ for permission to use, and obtain the source code.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.