AtGuard Forum

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by jvmorris, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvmorris

jvmorris Registered Member

This is an unabashed rip-off of my own posting at DSLR Security Forum.

For those of you who may remember (and possibly still use) WRQ's AtGuard, Dave "Crash Dummy" Stockbridge has initiated a new NNTP style forum. (Dave has some sort of moral imperative against UBB forums like this one; don't ask me what it is, I don't understand.) Dave is probably best known as the author of the List of Lists, especially in the NNTP newsgroups.

There are already some well-known names from the past there.

I would also point out that this is likely to be an excellent resource for NIS/NPF users who want to tinker 'beneath the hood'. Despite its many changes from its AG days, NIS/NPF users can still profit from the information likely to be found there on the nitty gritty of how to customize the firewall's configuration and rulesets.

Yes, I remain a NIS/NPF user (up through NIS/NPF 2002, at any rate), but this may well be an important contributor to those who'd like to use NIS/NPF as something a bit more than a glorified version of Zone Alarm.

For those who may be interested, point your NNTP newsreader client to news://news.gpick.com/atguard .

Addendum to the DSLR posting: Tiny, in its original invocation, was almost a clone of the last versions of AG, so almost everything you're likely to find in Dave's forum can also be easily transliterated for Tiny. Kerio is a bit more removed (but less so than the latest versions of NIS/NPF). Hence, it's quite likely that Tiny/Kerio users can also find useful hints on Dave's new forum as it picks up speed.

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Joseph,

Thanks for the heads up! The revival from the old AG forum - nice initiative from Dave :).

regards.

paul

3. jvmorris

jvmorris Registered Member

I just noticed that the old Unofficial AtGuard Users Forum that was hosted on Hostboard seems to have disappeared. I haven't seen any explanation as to whether this is some temporary problem or something permanent?

That site had a lot of legacy information that was pretty much only available there for AtGuard.

If anyone knows the score, please let me know.

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

I too cannot get to the old AG forum at Hostboard:

Attached Files:

5. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Although there has not been much activity there lately, I would still pop by now and again. I do not recall seeing anything from @guard about shutting it down o_O

Regards,
    CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.