ATF Cleaner

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jfd15, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

ATF Cleaner - i guess its not technically anti-malware but what does everyone
    think of this product? i was told that it gets rid of stuff that CCleaner misses
    but im not really sure if thats true....On the main section if i hit the "empty selected" button about 5 times in a row it will say something like

"100 MB files deleted"
    then " no files deleted"
    then "20 MB files deleted"
    then no files deleted
    then 10 MB files deleted

it doesnt seem like its giving an accurate description of what its doing...
    do you think this program is for real? it was supposedly a decent program
    but i really have my doubts

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I use it regularly (once a week or every 2 weeks) and always before scanning on-demand.

But sometimes after using it, there are still temp files. So I guess work is not done completly, but in my experience, most software fails in cleaning 100%. I still use it because it's light, fast and no install is required.

3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

curiously,same experience as OP,bit puzled hmmmm....,but then its advised and frequently used in several malware cleaning Forums around the Web,so it should be a good one i guess.Wil look into Ccleaner if its any different. o_O

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

just give Ccleaner a whirl : cleaned in one sweep,no remnants after second analize !;)

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    It's a simple program to clean junk. Nothing special, simply convenient.
    Mrk

6. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Yes,I'm amazed that its very fast as compared to the others though,Ccleaner and Sweepi clean more but are slower(better ?),Sweepi find most junk but need a reboot to clean anything.

7. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I've had ATF cleaner clear out hundereds of megs to over 1GB after CCleaner was previously run on a system. IMO it doesn't hurt to simply use both.

8. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

WOW !! sorry but i don't believe that ! :(

9. EliteKiller

So you are contradicting yourself when you say....

Simply because my figures are a tad higher than the OP's you want to write them off as unbelievable. :rolleyes:

10. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Your using the term '' a tad higher '' is ridiculious,afterall your talking about almost deleting 1 gig. after a initial cleanup with CCleaner,OP as it seems did'nt an initial cleanup with CCleaner so the figures in yours can't translate to OP findings.
    The findings in your case are almost chocking as to the usefullnes of CCleaner and this is it : I DONT BELIEVE THAT, and here pointing to my earlier post. ;)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  11. EliteKiller

Maybe you will believe this. ;)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1174672&postcount=33

12. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

When a reboot\log off are required by a program(s) such as are being discussed it usually means that a file such as an index.dat is being cleared. Note I said cleared not deleted. This type of file, as well as others, some .tmp files are considered in use by the OS when running and there for locked. That is the reason a reboot\log off is required. This could arguably mean that a cleaner that requires this type of action is doing a better job. Then again the same app. may not be clearing other files not locked by the OS which the other programs in question do.
    Many of these tools are fairly configurable. But in clearing .tmp files caution is recommended. I have run across some programs that keep log\settings files in folders labled as .tmp.

13. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

14. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

AFAIK Sweepi is the only one needed a reboot to clean,but opinions about the effectiveness of this cleaner also differ ,one thing where most people agreed upon is that initially Sweepi find more but is not that good in cleaning these files,at least a fair portion of these files are persistent and are found again after a second cleaning session.
    What can i say Hmmm...In a general sense they do more good then harm,there is no perfect cleaner out there so the ones discussed here are good enough at the moment.

15. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

16. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

yes, thats what iwas trying to say also, that it reports large size of files deleted
    even after i run CCleaner, but im not sure i believe the numbers it reports..

17. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Yes but you did'nt mentioned the initial use of CCleaner in your first post,so i came to conclusions based on that.

better to tell the whole story to begin with,right !

18. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I ran ATF Cleaner too after reboot and it removed 92.000 KB extra, besides my normal cleaning. These objects are RE-created during each reboot. I don't see any benefit of deleting those. I had the same experience with Sweepi.
    ATF Cleaner doesn't even target applications, it does a general cleaning, which is a poor cleaning.

The problem with cleaning is that softwares, like CCleaner, R-Wipe&Clean, ... don't know what to clean for each existing application. That's why all these cleaners only do the cleaning for a limited number of POPULAR applications. Some do more applications than others, but that doesn't change or solve anything.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  19. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Yes,a bit wary of ATF-usually anything that cleans a lot more than others is operating in the amber zone.

This one EmpTemp is a beauty in that you can add your own requirements as well as the default files to clean.
    here

20. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

R-Wipe&Clean also allows you to add your specific needs, called "Wipe Lists", but then I have to do all the work and maintain the wipe lists.
    In the beginning I also used these wipe lists to clean the leftovers of my video activities, which was quite a volume in gigabytes.
    First I had to locate these objects, which isn't always easy, then I had to create a wipe list and then I had to run it manually.
    I wasn't happy with this solution, too much work and not convenient enough.
    Now I clean my computer without knowing anything and without doing anything (boot-to-restore).

21. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

For years i been using both CCleaner and ATF and for a while Sweepi and(knock on the wood) never met any problems.

22. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

sorry, my bad....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.