Atelier Web Firewall Tester

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by RL, Dec 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RL

RL Guest

Here's another firewall test:

http://www.atelierweb.com/awft/download.htm

2. ZZZ7

ZZZ7 Registered Member

FIREWALL =10 TO ZIP

with SYGATE

3. Has anyone tested this with ZAPRO 3.5?

I absolutely won't install this program in my computer.. (It might have spyware, who knows...) If anyone else did, please let us know what your results were..

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Straight Shooter,

Be assured: nothing of the kind ;).

regards,

paul

5. Luthorcrow

Luthorcrow Registered Member

ZZZ7,

Good to hear, I am also using Sygate Pro 1150 and scored FW=3 AW=7. The only Sygate blocked for me was the DLL. I don't suppose you would be willing to share point in the right direction of what you have done different with your set-up. I am assuming the crux would be in the advanced rules? Obviously I must be being more premissive than needed of my browser.

6. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Went through my ZAP 3.5 only when I was already online and had already allowed IE 6 to access the net !! :mad:

regards,
    bill :eek:

7. :eek: o_O :oops:

My Zapro 3.5 scored 2 for the firewall and 8 for the Atelier...

Not good news!

Is this the kind of program that every firewall will fail..
    I tried this test under the Dlink router and then I tried it with the router.. Same results both times..

I also have a license for Agnitum Outpost Pro. Did anyone else try with Outpost?

For me, Test 1 gave me an Alert Advisor, to which I answered "No"..

Test 2 and 3 were outright failures...

8. ZZZ7

ZZZ7 Registered Member

===================================

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-helpbyking

9. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Interesting replies here !!

http://forums.sygatetech.com/showthread.php?s=8c9c5386fadbd1931f6cc92d737cd72e&threadid=3970

regards,
    bill

10. I think eyespy found a place in the sygate forums that makes sense..

Also, this "firewall tester" costs $34.95 after you use it four
    (4) times... after you find out you've wasted your money...

I tried EVERYTHING to get ZAPRO to get this to pass until I started realizing there might be something wrong with the test!!

I think the folks who developed this program should tell us how to pass our firewalls with this "new test"

If ALL the firewalls fail, are we then ALL damned?

11. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Ok...
    this proggie tunnels through IE and maybe Netscape. Actually it seems more like a shortcut to a URL that leads you to the script you see when you connect to Atelier's website...only when you allow IE to access the net. If I launch.... say Yahoo from my favorites when IE6 is set to ask for permission when connecting (using ZAP 3.5), I will get a prompt from ZAP "do yo want to allow IE6 to access the internet?", even though I'm trying to reach Yahoo....ya' with me ??
    Could a program of this nature actually be a "Security Threat" ?
    I'm not convinced yet !

Regards,
    bill ;)

12. root

root Registered Member

I am really surprised that Atelier would put out such a program, especially for money.
    There is nothing new about piggybacking on the browser. It is a built in security problem, thank you Bill Gate$$$$$ Another reason not to use IE.
    The first line of defense is the brain. If you do not click on things you should not click on, you will not be having problems from programs that do not belong on your computer.

13. Luthorcrow

Luthorcrow Registered Member

Root, thanks for hitting it on the head. But wouldn't this be a flaw of any browser if someone made their tunneling app specific to function with Opera or Mozilla or whatever?

Eyespy, I saw Pak's reply to my post, but man, I was feeling folish think there would be some crpytic guru stuff. His 10 score was based on that keeps all apps on "Ask" permission. Which for my test works fine as long as you don' t have IE open as with ZA 3.5 tests.

ZZZ7, I am assuming that was the same config you were using to pass this test as well? Thanks for the link but I have been to King's site. It's under construction right now so there is no current content but even when there was it was very basic.

I assume folks like to keep their FW rules secret juding by the lack of websites and content on the matter for personal FW. Outside of a few forums and PCFlank (which seem way to permissive) I haven't found at lot of good links.

14. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Root,
    are you SCOLDING me ?? :D
    I have to click....can't....help......myself.....must click on where...it says....don't click ....LOL !!

JK of course !!

regards,
    bill :D

15. Paul Wilders

..and there's this nifty little freeware app System Safety Monitor: anyone will get a perfect score when using it in regard to this tester - and all others, for that matter ;).

We'll put the latest version (it's a Beta, but no problems so far) up for download on our downloads page next update.

regards.

paul

16. root

root Registered Member

Thanks, Paul. I have been hesitant to put this on my machine because I use RegRun Gold, and have excellent security software installed, I believe. :)
    However, it seems SSM has a couple of functions that prevent this type of exploit, that RRG does not have, so I guess I will add it as a compliment to RRG.
    I am going to suggest to Dmitry that he consider adding such a function to RRG.
    Paranoia, the great Destroya. He he. :D :D

Man that SSM is a slow download site. Be nice when you get it on your server. :)

17. Paul Wilders

hey root,

I second that one ;)

Dmitry is always open for good suggestions!

Grin...

Quite true (and that's an understatement..). I guess we will have it up for download within approx. 4 hours ;).

regards.

paul

18. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

KPF will not let this "test" through. One thing escapes me, what firewall o security software is this company selling?

19. Paul Wilders

Hi Feivel,

What Kerio version are you referring to? In case of v2x, IMHO it will only pass the test in case every app (browser included) has to ask permission to..etc.

As for the software selling: have a look at their home page.

regards.

paul

20. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

Paul,

I run KPF beta 5 along with TPF 3 (just the sandbox). The software they sell doesn't seem to mesh with their "firewall test." Since they are attempting to show holes in firewalls, I would think they either sell or will soon sell a firewall. Not only that but I bet theirs would pass :)

21. Paul Wilders

Feivel,

That explains a lot, doesn't it? ;) KPF 5 Beta, plus sandboxing - no way your system can be compromised by this.

(Guess you did expect this reply) ;).

That said: those not running a sandbox: a different story.

regards.

paul

22. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

Paul,

The sandbox gives me an alert but I do allow the test to run. KPF stops the test cold though.

23. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Registered Member

i use Kerio 2.1.4 along with Adsubtract PRO. everything runs through adsubtract and the firewall gets a perfect 10 when i run this test with no warning boxes. a good, tight, properly configured ruleset helps.
    anybody that uses proxomitron and runs everything through it should get the same score.

24. Paul Wilders

Spaceboy,

Don't hesitate to post a screen shot! ;).

regards.

paul

25. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Registered Member

the rule that stops this test is the
    "crazybrowser restrict to adsubtract" rule

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.