AT vs AS (for backup scanner)

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by WSFuser, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

which do u prefer as a backup to your AV?

also, would u say a-squared is more AS or more AT?

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Others can give you a more expert opinion, but I perceive that the lines are very blurred between what were once AS and AT.

I personally use as resident SAS and AVG 7.5 AS. On the laptop I also have a-squared free as a scanner. I don't need all that, but wanted to see how each performs. So far I have not had any conflicts. You can see on my signature what else is running.

If I had to do with only one in addition to the AV I would prefer SAS Pro. It updates often, and Nick and his folks are really on top of things, including support. Also, I think he has the correct priorities in SAS. I do not detect any slowdown running what I have real time, and they run well together.

Best,
    Jerry

3. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Resident SUPERAntiSpyware plus AVG 7.5 "guard enabled".

That combo does it for me.

4. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

For real-time protection, I use BOClean alongside NOD32. This combo seems to be a very effective one (for resident protection).

But I also use Kaspersky's Online Scanner (along with other anti-spyware scanners) as my "backup" (or second opinion) to NOD32 (and BOClean).

For several months, Kaspersky scans would come up "clean" (as did NOD's). The past month or so (after switching ISPs), NOD - running RESIDENT - has detected and quarantined a half dozen or so infected files. I recently ran a KAV scan, and it "detected" a handful of items. I was a little worried during the scan, but then afterward I noticed that ALL of the "threats" detected by KAV were, in fact, quarantined items located in the "...Eset/Infected..." folder.

That simply reassured me that both NOD32 and Kaspersky are top notch AVs! :thumb:

As for A-squared....I used it for a period of time, but it only seemed to find FPs for me. But as for your question, WSFuser....for my two cents I think that A-Squared is a mix of both (AS and AT), basically an "anti-malware", with no significant strength in one area over the other.....

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I've made afew ie shortcuts that I've put into a toolbar to some online activex scans,..vulnerability, kaspersky...a2 being another, also the ewido_micro is there. As for 'AS or more AT' I think alot are 'blurred' as JerryM puts it - one being a2 - antimalware is a name I'd use.

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I would use both, but I already use MWAV Free & it covers all 3 (AV,AS,AT).
    I do recommend A2 as a standalone AT along with CureIt (AV) and SAS (AS).

7. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

I only keep AV + 2 backup AS's... SAS (SuperAntiSpyware) and AVG-AntiSpyware... dont see a need for a backup anti-trojan scanner

8. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I suppose really these two are AT as well.

9. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I forgot to offer my choice of an AV backup. I'm so AS and HIPS minded anymore.

I use BitDefender on my D:\ drive as an emergency backup in case some genious virii coder's creation happens to disable or corrupt Kaspersky.

10. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

also, would u say a-squared is more AS or more AT?

I think that the categorical difference is getting harder to see.
    Antimalware is basically a combination of both and that's what I would call A-Squared.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.