assign drive letters on partition USB drive

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Forst, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forst

Forst Registered Member

I have Flash drive Kingston Datatravel 16Gb. Create partitions like primary and logicaly are OK. But When I want to assign drive letter for partition Acronis seems to be OK , But Windows dont recognise the new add drive letter. And is the same when I close the Acronis and again open it apear only the first letter of the fisrt partition. The other partitions dont have letter.
    I use windows vista 64bit.

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Forst:

The problem is Windows. Windows will only see the first partition of removable drives like flash drives. In order to use the other partitions that you have created on your flash drive you would need to use a different operating system. Linux, for example, can use multiple partitions on flash drives.

An alternative that I've read about (but haven't tried) is to make the flash drive non-removable. Search for that on Google.

3. CircleGirl

CircleGirl Registered Member

Search on Googleo_O
    It has hundreds of thousands of hits that is why we come here. Please be more informative or get off the pot.

4. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

Oh dear! You are attacking one of the most helpful, informed and informative members of this forum. Please take a bit more time to understand before posting any more rubbish like that!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  5. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

OK, I'll bite. A quick 2-minute Google search turned up the following simple tutorial from Pendrivelinux. I haven't tested this personally, but the link is a reliable source of information.

6. Forst

Forst Registered Member

But the tool bootit on the page supported only a few USB. I tried and not working.. I search on google and there were the same results with Bootit and change driver for windows but not working..

7. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

I'm afraid that the only additional help I can offer is to point you to the 911CD forum and the BootLand forum where the more technical types hang out. Look for posts by jaclaz from Italy in particular.

8. XIII

XIII Registered Member

9. CircleGirl

CircleGirl Registered Member

Good sources!!
    kOlo:
    Frustration, frustration, frustration!!! with the all-too-often irrelevant Google results, so please never mind the rudeness in my previous post :oops: .

10. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

No offense taken. ;)

Forst, if you're still monitoring this thread then perhaps there are other ways to accomplish your objectives. If you could tell us what you'd like to do with multiple partitions on a flash drive then maybe we could offer other suggestions.

For example, if you had intended to install multiple versions of Windows on the flash drive then we can say that approach isn't going to work because Windows will not boot from USB devices (without hacking, that is). If your intention is to boot other operating systems like rescue CDs, low-level tools, and/or Linux, then there are multiple ways to do this.

Although I have several multiboot USB flash drives, my approach has evolved to having only one big partition on the flash drive and then using Grub4DOS as a boot manager. An advantage of this approach is that you can plug the flash drive into a Windows machine and work on it, yet you can still keep each installation in separate folders. With the newer versions of Grub4DOS being able to directly boot an ISO image, this approach has a lot of merit (and simplicity).

11. Forst

Forst Registered Member

Yes..
    You have right, for one reason I had it for the boot of the diferent ISO. But this problem i will realise with Grup4Dos which is posted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.