Assembler

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by SpookyET, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpookyET

SpookyET Guest

I have installed Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0 on Vista, and it slowed my system to a crawl. It was probably Proactive Defence, but still. I could not stand it. I uninstalled it immediately.

NOD32 is the only antivirus which claims to function with only 32MiB of RAM, though 64 is recommended.

Yes, I have installed NOD32 2.7 Trial. Truthfully, I do not feel it.

ESET claim that NOD32 is fast and uses low resources because it is written in assembler. Is the entire engine written in assembler, or only the critical parts? I do not believe that the GUI is written in assembler. It would not make sense. Also, is the firewall written in assembler as well?

Right now, I'm using NOD32 2.7 with Windows Firewall. I have tried the Smart Security Suite before on XP. I'll probably try it again when Beta 2 is released. So far, my money is on ESET.

PS: 2.7.0 claims that it's an antivirus only. Security Centre claims that no anti-spyware is installed and that I should and that I should enable Windows Defender.

2. Chappy

Chappy Registered Member

How much physical RAM do you have installed?
    What do you mean by "You do not feel it"? Low resource usage..something else?

AFAIK, NOD32 2.7 is not completely in Assembly Language, this is from the Eset site..
    which means it's MOSTLY in assembly but not All. I'm not certain about ESS tho, but I believe it is also.

NOD32 does detect spyware but the Windows Security Center mistakenly says that none is installed with Eset. It's even claimed right in the Security Center window, that certain products are not detected properly...I thought that was fixed now tho. I'll look around for more on that.

Dave

3. SpookyET

SpookyET Guest

I have 1GiB. Yes, very low resource usage. I don't think that the Security Centre detects anything. I think that the program must announce itself as having that feature.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I don't think so because NOD32 and ESS are anti-threat system(s) , they do protect against all kind of mal things but are not dedicated anti-spyware programs . NOD32 will do find and delete malicious files which belong to a spyware (for e.g.) but NOD will not touch Windows Registry and clean certain changed reg entries . Most users prefer to have even these things cleaned and NOD will kill only the most crutial part of the spyware so that it cannot function . That's why Microsoft recommends an anti-spyware .

If you don't want to use Windows Defender , you are really OK and well-protected with NOD only . A dedicated anti-spyware protection may be Spybot Search and Destroy (which latest version will register in Security center AFAIK ) ;)

5. Chappy

Chappy Registered Member

My Vista install has no problem seeing ESS

ESS.jpg

When I was running NOD32 2.7.16, it temporarily had trouble seeing it as an AntiSpyware protection, but it just as quickly changed and said it was OK now (some time later, can't remember exactly how long now), I'm fairly sure it was before I upgraded to 2.7.32 but I'm not certain now.
    I know that version 2.7.32 definitely recognized NOD32 as Malware protection on my Vista machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.