Ashampoo Virus Quickscan

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tgell, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgell

tgell Registered Member

2. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  3. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Thanks!

4. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

same as emsisoft
    also i like asampoo layout as its more professional

5. icr

icr Registered Member

Nice tools but I don't think they are often used

6. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

There is a name i have not seen mentioned in a long time.I always thought there product to have nice colorfull gui.I totaly forget about shampoos.I can't remember what i used from them in the long past that worked very well, but it was not security related.just checked out there site it was burning studio i liked.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  7. tgell

tgell Registered Member

So did the Emsisoft emergency kit replace the Emsisoft MalAware?

8. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

No, EEK replaces A-squared Free if I am right.

Gerard

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  9. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I like the layout better too. It has a slick looking interface. :thumb:

10. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

howz the detection rates guys? this one uses latest signatures? I dont want shampoo in my eyes thats y verifying:D

11. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

I'm assuming this Quickscan is a subset of the full client. FWIW:

In September of last year when they distributed a free 1-year license I tried version 1.2 on a test system. I noticed there was no config for setting update intervals and queried their techs:
    "The program search for updates directly after start, once a day. You can search manually for signature updates also."
    I asked them to clarify this especially since my systems runs 24/7:
    "If you never reboot your System, you can take a look manually if Updates available."

The Ikarus (t3.dll) and Emsisoft (engine.dll) engines are typically several months behind.
    In September AAM's t3.dll was 5.0.0.11 while the latest was 5.0.0.50.
    In January it was still at 5.0.0.50, the latest 5.1.0.1.
    The engine.dll was similarly lagging.

I uninstalled it and unless these two areas are improved, it will never make it to my production systems. Even considering the superb zero-day protection provided by its "nice colorfull gui," "slick looking interface" and "more professional layout." :cautious: :rolleyes:

However, if they're still offering free licenses I suppose it falls into the "much better than nothing or Avast" category. For some one who turns their computer off and on a lot that is.

12. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

Ashampoo Anti-Malware (that's not the quick scan btw!) always uses the latest signature updates. There is no delay in distribution to them, Ashampoo and Emsisoft products use the same update system.

Sometimes Ashampoo uses an older engine.dll or T3.dll, true, but only if the changes of these files were made for Emsisoft-only needs. Such as new or modified interfaces for different internal use. They're not detection related however.

The 1 MB quick scanner is a rebrand of MalAware (www.malaware.com). It's compiled simultaneously with MalAware just using a different skin file, so there can't be any differences in signatures or detection capabilities at all.

MalAware as well as the Ashampoo Quick Scanner are updated several times a day and contain just a very minor set of traces signatures + the full set of signatures on the cloud scan. These tools are not made to give a complete scan result, they just give an estimation if the system is infected with active malware or not. If it's infected, it suggests to run a full disk scan with Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Ashampoo Anti-Malware accordingly.

13. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Thanks for clarifying Christian....:)

14. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Thanks for the clarification. Aware that my assumption Quickscan is a subset of AAM is inaccurate, I apologize for my off-topic shift.

But I readily admit if one is OK with engines lagging by months (for interface and internal needs) and to update to the latest no-delayed-distribution signatures to be governed by reboots or a manual process AAM is quite acceptable. Those two areas do not need improvement.

Final say. Regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.