Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 and Backup question!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I back up to an external HD with Ghost 10 and it appears to work fine, so even though Studio 6 offers a conventional backup feature I don't really need it. However, it does have the ability to burn ISO files (which, admittedly I know very little about) which I see mentioned during backup discussions all of the time. I included a screenshot of the ISO burning options and I was wondering what if anything I might use it for relative to back up and what would be the reason/advantage of doing this. Thank You!
    http://xs218.xs.to/xs218/07334/ScreenShot010.png

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

The first option burns an disc image file (like ISO) to CD/DVD.

The second option creates an image file from an existing CD/DVD. You can create a backup of a disc for example.

And teh third option lets you build your own image file.

Disc Images dont necessarily relate to backups. If you want to create a backup of your entire disc just use Ghost like your are already, and if you want to backup individual files you can just burn them as a data cd/dvd.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

ratchet,
    I did this with ISO-files :
    When I bought my computer, I got a few CD's of
    - MS Windows XP pro SP2
    - MS Office 2000 pro
    - ATI drivers + software
    - NVIDIA drivers + software
    - CREATIVE drivers + software
    - CANON drivers + software
    - etc.

I have only one CD of each and these are hard to get back, if they are damaged or lost.
    So I created an ISO-file of each CD and now I can reproduce these CD's over and over again, even when the original CD's are damaged by accident or when they are worned out or when they are lost/stolen.
    I also created an extra cloned CD of each with the ISO-file and they work like the original.
    I also collected all these ISO-files together and stored them twice on DVD's.

4. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Thanks EA! Now see if this would work? My install CD is only SP1. I know SP3 is approaching, however, if had to reformat there'd be a lot of catching up to do. I have XP Pro SP2 CD from work. Can I rip an ISO of that to my HD then Burn a new CD from the HD ISO which could be used to format? Or don't I understand the concept!

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I would just make a copy of the WinXP SP2 CD using Nero or other cd writing program.

If you have just one CD drive, it will make a temporary image and then burn it or if you have two drives some software will let you make a "on-the-fly" copy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.