Ashampoo Antivirus 2014 (emsisoft + bitdefender)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by marciocruz, Sep 12, 2013.

1. marciocruz

marciocruz Registered Member

Ashampoo antivirus to be released on 25/09

h**ps://www.ashampoo.com/lpa/antivirus

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2013
  2. fearlessscientist

fearlessscientist Registered Member

UI looks awesome

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The UI? Are you sure you don't mean the model standing next to it that's kind of easy on the eyes? :D

4. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

@marciocruz Please, your source of the Emsisoft and Bitdefender?? They used to use Emsisoft and Ikarus on their previous Anti-Malware 1.2.1.

I ran that on my XP systems for years. But by the time Win7x64 came about on my systems about a year and a half ago (where it didn't play all that well), they hadn't updated since Sept. 2010. Currently it's still running the ooooold A2 v2.0.0.329 engine. They do keep up with latest the T3 engine tho.

When EAM became too much of a headache, I went to avast! Free. But, AAV could be my next solution.

I wonder if this one will show up witha goodly discount over at Download Crew for those reluctant to jump on the pre-order pricing.

Too bad they didn't snag Online Armor to make this a new OA++.

5. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

6. fearlessscientist

fearlessscientist Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

7. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning! Seems to my eyes to be a repackaged Eam! Bitdefender is packaged by numerous vendors...what's unique about Ashampoo? Sincerely...Securon

8. marciocruz

marciocruz Registered Member

Source: http://e-pcmag.gr/news/erxetai-asham...isti-prostasia

9. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Maybe that you can usually get their software dirt cheap.

10. Securon

Good Morning! Clocks! They have an intro offer...for $19.95...but these guys offer permanent offers...they're too my understanding a marketing company more than a dedicated software development company. I also have mixed feelings about their ethical business structure. As you know these people are the undisputed Kings Of Spam...Do not provide your e-mail address...if you need to provide a secondary address. Also how effective is their after sales service? Or more directly...is their one! Moral of my discourse is if it's solely price based and to good to be true...buyer beware...proceed with caution. I personally would deal with Emsisoft a Class Act...Superb ongoing Service...and most importantly...Customer Focused. Sincerely...Securon

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Based on past experience with Ashampoo Anti-Malware; they do have customer service, but IMO they don't have a good idea of supporting an Anti-Malware product and treat it like their other products. Expect signature updates, bug fixes and even help with malware; but program feature upgrades, product updates etc. will be hard to come by.

12. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Don't bugfixes usually come as program updates?
    :D

13. VectorFool

VectorFool Registered Member

is this a rebranded Emsisoft Antimalware with a gui change?

14. Firecat

I mean to say, they'll fix bugs but the program is on "maintenance mode", not "active development" mode. So the program works as expected, but you can't expect a new feature to pop up every now and then, and if the shipping product only provides, say, web protection for 'x' browsers, it will probably stay that way.

Back when they used the Avira engine in the old AntiVirus product, they were also really slow in upgrading the engine versions for their scanner.

15. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

IIRC- the last version of Ashampoo was a rebranded Emsi (Ikarus/Emsi combo) but did not have the Mamutu behavior monitor and instead used something else for that purpose (at least that was the claim). Back when Ashampoo had their stand alone anti-spyware they used A2 (now Emsi) but that product did not have a behavior monitor either. Apparently the reason Ashampoo was able to sell the products at a lower price was because they did not have to pay so much from Emsi for the A2 without the behavior monitor. So there is a history of Ashampoo not being a complete product that's simply been rebranded. I believe back when they sold their anti-spyware product they also sold an anti-virus which was essentially a rebranded Avira free version.

The updates/upgrades of Ashampoo's anti-malware products is not good either.

16. anon

anon Registered Member

Ashampoo Anti-Virus 2014
    Version 1.0.0, 2013/09/25
    https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/0449/Security_Software/Ashampoo-Anti-Virus

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    *Anti-Malware 1.2.1
    =
    Ashampoo Anti-Malware
    Version 1.2.1, 2010/09/01
    https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/0249/Offline/Ashampoo-Anti-Malware

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  17. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

These days, anyone can make an AV that may top the charts as long as they licence the hell out of everything without any skill involved :rolleyes::gack::rolleyes:, as a compatriot of Ashampoo will agree. :rolleyes:

18. anon

anon Registered Member

19. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

20. Inside Out

Re: Ashampoo Antivirus 2014 (emsisoft + bitenabler)

^ My post above may have sounded hypocritical being a fan of F-Secure; however, there really are few clones I rate that actually add to that engine themselves (Emsi, F-Secure itself and Qihoo, that's all). The rest are just pretenders with the worst being G-Dud for having hidden behind two licensed engines in the past; getting all the credit for others' genuine talent and hard work, and being incompetent enough to fail miserably when they released CloseGap (more like OpenGap), which doesn't detect squat and is buggy as hell despite having been worked on for FIVE YEARS, fer cryin' out loud! :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: You can always check out the long azz thread on Rokop. They would have gone under long ago if stuff like OEM didn't exist, as they should have. :rolleyes: Not to mention they were the ones to start the whole craze in the first place. :gack: And now Ashampoo are following suit...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  21. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

gui is awesome imo.

22. Firecat

Aren't you being a bit too harsh? You have to note that having many licensees is also advantageous to BitDefender because they get that much more samples to process (both from the licensees' internal teams as well as their users submitting samples). Have you considered that it might be one reason why the detection rates are close to the top? :D

23. malexous

malexous Registered Member

24. Securon

Good Morning! Just over at the Softpedia site...and came across the fact that their isn't a way to set up Scheduled scanning...to me that's an important feature that's available in the Emsisoft product. And as mentioned Ashampoo's custmr service isn't of the calibre of Emsisoft's...Two extremely important points to consider before purchasing. Sincerely...Securon

25. Inside Out

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.