Ashampoo antispyware questions

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by acr1965, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Does anyone know which scanning engine and update database Ashampoo's antispyware uses?

Also, if anyone else uses this product, do you get a high number of outbound alerts from your firewall that indicate Ashampoo is often "phoning home"? I get an alert from my Comodo firewall about Ashampoo trying to access the internet different times and after different activity I am doing while surfing the internet. Such things include opening the browser in a new window or refreshing a browser page. My Comodo firewall usually indicates that Ashampoo is writing something to memory or changing something in memory (don't rememer the exact wording). Then again I sometimes get alerts about Ashampoo when my computer is just sitting idle. Is this unusual?

Thanks.

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Doesn't Ashampoo have an inhouse engine, or maybe that is the av, not sure. What I'd like to hear about also is the antirootkit module...any info?

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i thought the antispyware module was powered by A Squared
    lodore

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yep from what i have read its a modified a-squared engine.

Version 1.50 detects more than 500,000 threats, it can even detect the highly dangerous Rootkits.

5. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Just downloaded the six month free Full Version, running quite nice. (high memory usage, but no slow downs) If it is a-squared than the new and unknown malware detection capabilities it has, must be the IDS and Heuristics a-squared has, right?

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I guess so, it all depends on whether it is using an old or new a-squared engine.

7. duke1959

I really like this AntiSpyware program, but I'm not sure it's needed with Firefox and NoScript unless the RealTime Guard is a Behavior Blocker like Cyberhawk, or has some other HIPS like detection. Anyone know for sure? It does run around 50MB in Task manager though, but no slow downs. No Spam yet either, but only six months free.

8. btman

btman Registered Member

Six months free is ALOT better than 30 days free from many other anti-spyware vendors.

9. duke1959

Thinking of trying this again as the Ashampoo website does a good job of convincing someone of the Antispyware's abilities. I know it has some version of the a squared engine, but I doubt it's the latest one. I just wonder how good it is for RealTime detection? It claims to have several hundreds of thousands of signatures, and that its Guard uses Heuristics to detect unknown malware on a behavioral basis and even Rootkits which is what I'm looking for. I still wonder though if Ashampoo AS is really any better than AVG AS which has recently been confirmed to not have Heuristics in its RealTime Guard, or detect Rootkits?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  10. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Well, if this say something, the Ewido engine helped AVG to gain a Advanced checkmark in AV-Comparatives.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  11. duke1959

I don't know lucas1985, but the potentially unwanted test done by AVC was on demand and AVG AS did fine, but not as good as some others. I just wonder how good the Heuristics are in the Ashampoo Realime Guard. Just because Ashampoo AS is supposed to detect unknown malware and Rootkits, doesn't mean it is better than AVG AS, but you would think that by having almost the same amount of signatures as AVG AS, and RealTime Heuristics it would be.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  12. Arin

Arin Registered Member

"Ashampoo Antispyware uses the a-squared scan engine, but not the a-squared background guard technology with the Malware-IDS. The used engine is the latest with the same features and updates. The main power of a-squared is its guard with the bahavior analysis module. That explains the higher price of a-squared Anti-Malware."

http://forum.emsisoft.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1814

13. duke1959

Thanks for posting that AMRX. I just recently used Ashampoo again and like it, but I feel even with its Heuristics for RealTime that Spyware Terminator would still most likely be a better choice. First of all its free, and second of all the help in their forum is very good. As far as RealTime detection goes, well I don't know how good Ashampoo's Heuristics are, but I would think that ST's HIPS would be better here as well.

14. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Go along nice with boclean! 6months trial says 30days to me?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.