Ashampoo Anti-Malware freeware?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by acr1965, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I see on softpedia that Ashampoo has their Anti-Malware product listed as freeware. http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Ashampoo-Anti-Malware.shtml

This is the Ashampoo rigged up combo of A-squared scanners/sigs with some Ashampoo in-house behavior shield which replaces Mamutu. Maybe this promo is left over from the Christmas giveaway that is actually a 6 month license? Otherwise, maybe it's some freeware promo that is different- anyone know? Anyone willing to install to see what the license says?

2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Yeah its free....for 40 days. Take a look at the ashampoo site. It retails for 39.99. Its the same version. I wouldn't really touch it anyway. Even if it was free. You're better off getting the 50% off emsisoft offer on softpedia.

3. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

I thought shampoo uses avira engine?:rolleyes:

4. thanhtai2009

thanhtai2009 Registered Member

they are using Emsisoft engine for Ashampoo AntiMalware

5. acr1965

they did in their prior releases but now use Emsi. In the past they had separate products for antivirus and antispyware, now just one.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I never knew that EAM licensed their engine :D

7. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

The Emsisoft engine is not very impressive in my eyes, a very large majority of the work is done by Ikarus.

See these MRG flash tests details. In a total of 8 cases there were detection details given about Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Detected by Ikarus engine: 7
    Detected by Emsisoft engine: -
    Detected by behavior blocker: 1

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2011
  8. acr1965

The prior Ashampoo AntiSpyware was Emsi without the A-Squared guard component.

9. acr1965

I wonder if the two scanners are similar to Gdata where they have Bitdefender scan first and Avast 2nd. Since BD catches most, malware hardly ever makes it to the Avast scanner or sigs to be scanned?

10. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

That's wrong.

Because we develop the Emsisoft engine part by ourselves, we're able to disable all non needed signatures where Ikarus already adds detection for. That's a unique opportunity for us to safe memory usage (compared to products that use multiple third party engines where they have no access to the signature databases).

That means:

Of the 4 million Emsisoft engine signatures, the current Anti-Malware version uses only less than 1 million - the others are disabled. Most of the active signatures are malware traces, registry keys, special removal signatures and other stuff that Ikarus doesn't include at all.

Also: The Ikarus detections are displayed first, even if both engines alert a file.

It's absolutely normal that >95% of all Emsisoft Anti-Malware findings have the !IK postfix in their names.

I suggest to check the VB100 test report details to see how much the detection rates of the products differ.

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

So its shareware then I presume?

12. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

More like scareware but yes its shareware.

13. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Thanks for the clear explanation and sorry for the confusion.

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Nice little explanation :D

15. Nozavi

Nozavi Registered Member

Have ACTUALLY checked before posting? Well, no, obviously you didn't...

After the installation process ends, a browser window opens, requiring an email address where the serial number for the FULL version will be sent
    asham1.png
    Before entering the serial number, the Activation windows mentions a 10 day trial
    asham2.png
    but after pasting the serial number received by email, the FULL version will be unlocked
    asham3.png
    Not a single penny required... So...
    No, it's NOT shareware, it's freeware!

:rolleyes:

16. Doraemon

Doraemon Registered Member

Knowledgeable people always recommend to avoid any Ashampoo's ~ Snipped as per TOS ~... :blink: :blink: :blink:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.