Ashampoo Anti-Malware at giveaway of the day

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by brainrb1, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

I fail to understand what was so 'funny' about a product that uses two world class scanning engines Emsisoft Anti-Malware and the Ikarus Anti-Virus engine and a generous act from the Ashapoo team to give it out for free.

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Without Mamutu the program is pretty average. Plus it seems to run a little heavy so I'm not sure if it's the current Emsi engines or older ones. Ashampoo has sold rebranded security software for several years (prior it was a re-branded Avira free they sold and A2 with sig updates) but they have never had a good history of keeping them up to date and problem free.

3. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

They are probably the older engines. They don't seem to catch up with the latest version of the engines based on what happened with the previous version. It is definitely heavy and slowed down my VM in my testing.

4. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Ashampoo is the biggest spam company!

Every program I tried from them is crap (especially WinOptimizer :cool: with the Exception of Burning Studio 10, that is the best CD/DVD Burner IMO that gives you many options to burn music, mp3s, DVD videos, etc. with a very easy to use interface.

Other than that, I'd not touch anything that a company uses their premium customers' emails to send them continous spams about their useless products

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Well to be honest i would say it is the other way around. Mamutu is average without Emsi/Ikarus.

Emsi/Ikarus engine are not the best but they are in the top ones i'm pretty sure (Detection wise not FP wise because i know you will bring the FP's :rolleyes:)

6. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Funny thing about Wilders security guru's: we seem not to be able to stop just a few spam e-mails. :blink:

7. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Not funny. Expected. Complaining about the email is the best they can do.

The IK/T3 and EAM/A2 engines in current use are 1.1.107.0 and 5.0.0.50 as installed by ashampoo_anti-malware_1.21_sm.exe downloaded from their site on 9/1.

Only issue I have with AAM is auto updates aren't as frequent as I like (and not configurable) so I just whack the "start signature update now" occasionally and to date the t3sigs.vdb always matches the one at ikarus dot com. I'm confident the A2 sigs are just as timely.

So far the on-access detections of 30-40 files a day pulled from MalwareBlacklist dot com and clean-mx dot de exceeds 98% and matches the on-demand detections by Hitman Pro 100%. With the appropriate exceptions in both apps, it and MBAM Pro run together without issue; on-access detections... sometimes MBAM wins, sometimes AAM.

The four elementary monitoring functions (autostart, Winsock LSPs, IE BHOs, hosts file) are easily disabled so as to be able to run some other more robust HIPS or BBlocker. Like Mamutu. Which you can find for $15. (I use something else.)

Oh yeah. I took care of the emails in about 75 seconds of receiving the first, and last, one without even bothering my email client. Damn, I'm good. I'd tell you how, but you can't afford me.

8. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Some examples of Ashampoo AMW results from test on forum SG
    02.09.2011 91,10% (420/461)
    17.07.2011 86,8% (105/121)
    14.07.2011 90,3% (383/424)

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Ever seen an unsubscribe button? Too lazy?

10. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

Mamutu is not supposed to protect on its own, but it works beautifully along other AVs, EAM or whatever.
    As to Ashampoo, well, it's not worth a thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.