(Article): 'The PC Era Is Over'

Discussion in 'hardware' started by wtsinnc, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

The netbook is good for what it is but the new teener notbook market will almost completely replace large screen laptops.

The HP DM-Z1 and Lenovo Thinkpad 120xe have gotten rave reviews on the technology sites. AMD new Fusion chipset has broken the performance barrier on ultraportable machines while keeping the price reasonable. The netbook and new tweeners will completely take over the laptop market by the end of the decade, relegating big screen laptops to the role of desktop PCs at home.

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Great post Bill.

I have already said goodbye to desktop towers 6 years ago, in my household there are 3 notebooks of different power and a 10" netbook. Having 2 notebooks in my work room when plugged in they create an enormous amount of clutter, and I can't see myself ever going back to desktops.

I've recently bought a smartphone only because of its Internet services which are available almost anywhere (netbooks are still limited to special areas for internet access, although it is improving at least here in Seoul).

I must say that after 4 months of smartphone usage when I open my 10" netbook it really feels like having a huge screen! As a result my initial skepticism about netbooks is now gone and I can see they are useful especially when you carry them for long stretches. A netbook for me is really a large portable hardrive with an OS. Some of my acquaintances have bought the iPad, and according to their experience they reckon netbooks overall offer more advantages albeit without the 3G, GPS and Wi-Fi which makes Smartphones so unique.

I think that day isn't that far away. There's a good book about the exponential rate of change in the state of the art in computer technology, and technology in general ("The Singularity Is Near" by Ray Kurzweil).

3. PeZzy

PeZzy Registered Member

Was there ever a PC Era?

There are a large number of people who own a PC but only use it to surf the internet. PCs were meant for so much more.

4. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I guess I didn't get the memo. I plan on having a PC for as long as I can get one. They can pry my PC out of my cold dead hand. :D

5. Boost

Boost Registered Member

This ^

I use the PC for paying bills,forums,ordering car parts for my drag racing hobby and do online gaming as well.

Someone wants to take away my desktop PC,you better be a pretty big dude :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.