ARPC Devices - ARPC_CLASS - Where Is Driver?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DasFox, Jul 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I'm working on a computer and I came across in the device manger a listing for,
    'ARPC Devices'

I believe that is known as, 'MS ArACPI Driver'?

If so does anyone know where I can get this?

All the links I run into online go to MS Update, but I can't seem to get this anywhere...

THANKS

2. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Come on where's all the Wilders' Geeks at to help me out? o_O

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

From Intel I'd presume? It appears a reference to their "Quick Resume Technology" and looks as though it can be disabled via BIOS (doubting it'll matter much to the customer whether it's installed or not) - thereby no unknown device. Try it, see what device manager has to say after a reboot.

http://www.windowsbbs.com/hardware/56961-unknown-device-2.html

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I've seen that link already, nothing here in this bios to disable.

I hate seeing things not properly loaded/installed in the Device Manger, so I'd like to be able to find a driver for this.

From what I thought "Quick Resume Technology" is for Intel chip boards, this is an Nvidia nForce board I'm trying to fix and I installed nForce drivers with no luck.

THANKS

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  5. GlobalForce

6. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Nope doesn't install on a nForce board.

No the board isn't a replacement, it's the original that came with this Compaq.

This is the box:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=au&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3208974#N924

I tried the chipset drivers there already but they didn't help.

THANKS

7. GlobalForce

The OS and BIOS version?

8. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

XP Pro SP3
    Bios v3.11 (It's the only version they have.)

I flashed the bios and it didn't help...

THANKS

9. GlobalForce

10. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

As I mentioned I'm working on the computer and I don't have any HP keyboard or mouse plugged in, I also thought anything to do with a keyboard and mouse under the Device Manger is simply listed in those sections.

The keyboard and mouse sections show up fine:
    http://img19.imageshack.us/f/95216769.jpg/

Judging from the looks of the icon in the device manager this looks like more something to do with ACPI.

http://img213.imageshack.us/f/27610847.jpg/

11. GlobalForce

Then I suggest you have a look @ HP's "about Viiv" page - they'll have the specifics.

12. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well two things as mentioned on the site, HP Devices with Viiv technology display the Viiv logo on the front of the computer and on the computer packaging.

This isn't a Viiv system...

Then you mentioned before Media Center Edition, Intel Quick Resume and that's for Media Center Editions and this is XP Pro.

So, why Viiv?

THANKS

13. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well I installed a program called Unknown Devices and it shows this as:

Unknown Device
    Vendor: Microsoft
    PnpID: usb\unknown

Also there's another entry that has no name and shows up with this info:

Vendor: Microsoft
    PnpID: usb\class_03&subclass_01

What's odd is that there are Nvidia chipset drivers on the site, but you have to install them manually through the Device Manager, but the system won't install them anywhere...

INFCACHE.1, nf4sys.cat, nf4sys.inf, nf4sys.PNF, nvsmb.cat, nvsmbus.inf, nvsmbus.PNF

I thought maybe if the chipset drivers would install this would resolve it, but can't get them installed...

14. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

If you put the xp cd in would it not find the driver for it from that as it says it has a Microsoft listing?

15. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I'm not aware that you can just put a XP cd and scan for drivers this way.

From what I know, I thought if the system had missing system files, then you'd run sfc /SCANNOW to replace them and I did that...

16. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

17. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I haven't seen this before, but I do know that when you start dealing with ACPI APIC and PIC you are dealing with which HAL is installed. If you change the type of power handling in the BIOS or which HAL you load, you can quickly encounter a non-booting PC. Nothing that can't be fixed really.

If it is to do with ACPI related settings, there are some setting in BIOS of course to mess with, as well as loading different HALS.

The whole APIC ACPI PIC thing is quite confusing really. Tis definately worth the learn though, quite interesting. I will be interested to see just what this is about when I get to work tommorrow and take a look at it.

Sul.

18. Sully

Sully Registered Member

This will be a long reply -- feel free to change channels if it bores you, it will be technical ;)

** there is no guarantee any of this is 100% correct. Don't blame me if you have issues from following anything you find here **

I don't know much about this Away mode for XP, never got into media center at all, probably why I did not see it. The Away feature in XP has now been implemented into windows 7 by default. In the power settings of windows 7 I noticed that you could throttle the cpu and do some stuff with the fans. I was wondering about that, now I know why. windows 7 uses this same file that is in that thread, ACPI.SYS. It is naming the device "Microsoft ACPI Compliant System". Whether or not the driver will work with a given BIOS is really anyones guess. The ACPI specs are set and standardized, but every bios may actually implement what it wants and there can be minor and major differences between how it is implemented.

Notice in that forum post how the guy was telling you how to use the F5 key during install? (btw, there are more F keys than that to use if you really want to get jiggy with installing XP...). Anyway, he is brining this up because some boards have older (earlier standards) or just incorrectly coded ACPI tables. You install XP, it goes to shutdown, calls on ACPI to do its thing, ACPI is not behaving properly, no shutdown or improper shutdown. So, it is easy to simply choose a HAL during install using the F5 key, to ensure you can shutdown.

ACPI, APIC, APM, PIC -- what the heck? These are all different forms of power management the BIOS has used. ACPI lets your computer turn itself off. Anyone remember when you shut down how the screen would say "You may now safely turn the computer off" ? How about when computers first started getting the sleep and hibernate functions? Those are some of the things these power management protocols do.

When you installed XP, depending on the hardware, a cerain HAL was copied to the system. HAL stands for Hardware Abstraction Layer. There are a number of HALs that XP had to choose from.

Actually, the forum post above where the guy was talking about F5 and the wrong HAL being able to repair is next to zilch -- this is false. You are completely free to use any HAL you like. But -- the trick is (isn't there always a trick?) to have all the HALs extracted out of the driver.cab file and living on the c: drive somewhere. Most problems usually crop up because the wrong HAL is extracted and without recovery console or other method of extracting the correct HAL, you can never use it.

So here is what I know about the HALs on XP -- win 7 and vista I have not had a need yet to dig into, so they may or may not be the same.

The HAL you need will then be extracted to system32 and named hall.dll. But, you can take matters into your own hands if you prefer. Simply extract each of these files to system32. If you want to try one or another, boot into recovery console or PE and copy one of them, renaming it to hal.dll. Reboot. If things don't work out so well, boot into console or PE again, copy one of the others as hal.dll. I have done this countless times and always been able to recover to where I started because I kept a copy of the first working hal.dll file to fall back to.

NOTE: using multi processor HALs should only be done if you have a multi-cpu system. The file ntoskrnl.exe is for a uni core system. You must use ntoskrnlmp.exe renamed to ntoskrnl.exe to use multi core. It is best to not mess with this if you don't understand it !!!

But it doesn't end there (maybe you wish it would lol). You can have these HALs in your system32 directory and boot from any of them at any time using the boot.ini file. In XP you are limited to 10 entries in the boot.ini file, but lets use that for some testing then. Here is one of my 'other' boot.ini files that I used on XP

Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP Pro SP2 ACPI APIC Multi" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /hal=halmacpi.dll
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP Pro SP2 ACPI APIC Uni" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /hal=halaacpi.dll
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP Pro SP2 ACPI " /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /hal=halacpi.dll
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP Pro SP2 MPS APIC Multi" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /hal=halapicm.dll
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP Pro SP2 MPS APIC Uni" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /hal=halapicu.dll
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP Pro SP2 APM Standard PC" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /hal=halapm.dll

We surely can't go this far without giving some more infos about boot.ini, can we? So lets give a little more out... these are example switches for boot.ini

But still, this threads answer is not given is it? Truly, I have only just begun to look at this issue, so I don't have an answer yet. Sorry. Maybe someone else can expand this, or maybe I will figure it out.. who knows.

Sul.

19. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well not sure about there being a hal problem, I do have hal.dll installed.

I wonder if I should just pop in the XP cd and do a repair.

I forgot about doing a repair, it's not going to delete any data on the drive is it?

There's a lot in My Documents and also it doesn't like create another Windows folder does it? When I get done with the repair everything should look the same?

THANKS

20. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Ok I'm 99.9% sure now of what the problem is.

I reinstalled Windows and this is still left Unknown Device and the box has media card/flash reader stuff on it along with a USB port, so it seems drivers aren't getting installed for this stuff and there aren't any drivers listed on the website for this...

Hmm so now what to do... o_O

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  21. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I fixed it, WoOt!

So I reinstalled Windows and of course the chipset drivers installed and this time it appears as:

Unknown Device:
    ACPI\AWY0001\2&DAB3FF&0

It's for 'AMD Away Mode'

This BIOS doesn't have anything to disable that so I found the driver online.

http://download.cnet.com/AMD-AwayMode/3000-2110_4-161870.html

THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR HELP! :)

22. GlobalForce

So for the record - the BIOS contains no mention of an "AMD live" listing?

23. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Nope, just your regular run of the mill mass produced computers, give ya the simplest type possible BIOS, meaning crap for options...

Strange too considering it's an Asus board, even though it's in a Compaq, you'd think it would have a half way decent bios, but nope nada...

THANKS

24. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

25. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I wonder if there is a way to clarify..

Is this XP, and like Stapp says, Media Center edition utilizing the Away feature.

Or is it Vista/7?

Is it possible that at some point Vista/7 might get put onto this machine?

I am interested to see if this driver that seems to work is the same as the ACPI.SYS driver that 7 uses.

I simply have never seen this in XP before.

But, glad you conquered it. Always a good feeling and a good learn. Congrats!

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.