Argosy HD363N/Tritton TRI-NSS001 drive case

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jmk94903, Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I purchased an Argosy HD363N (also sold as Tritton TRI-NSS001) network attached storage drive case. It's an inexpensive way to get a NAS drive, but it has problems with TrueImage 8 and 9.

When I try to backup to the drive, any backup image larger than about 2.5GB results in errors and a failure to write the image to the drive. Sometimes there is a "possible bad media" message.

If I split the image at 2500MB or less, it will write the image correctly, and the image can be verified. That's a workaround, but it's annoying.

I copied a TI archive file larger than 3.2GB to the drive, and it copied correctly and could be verified, so the problem is with the TrueImage writing function.

This is reproducible from two different PCs on my network using TI 8.937 and TI 9.2337.

Also, the verification is extremely slow. A backup archive that is split and that takes 15-17 minutes to create will take roughly 45 minutes to verify. The larger the split size the longer the verification takes. The 3.2GB file took just over 2 hours to verify.

Since this NAS drive enclosure is sold by geeks.com and many other places, I thought I'd document the problems and workaround in case anyone else runs into this.

Now, who has a Network Attached Storage enclosure or drive that works normally with Acronis TrueImage?

2. jmk94903

Just an update.

I used TI 9.2337 to backup the same machine to a USB 2 drive attached to another computer on this network. The image creation took 11 minutes (created an unsplit 3.2GB archive) and verification took 8 minutes.

Clearly, the network is fine, but I need something better than the HD363N box for use with TrueImage.

I started a new thread asking about NAS devices with TrueImage. It may be more appropriate to reply there if you have experience with a different device.

3. jmk94903

OK, one last fact on this. I booted from the TI 9 Recovery CD to see if that connected any faster to the HD363N NAS drive. It didn't. Verifying an archive still took 3-4 times longer than creating the archive.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello John,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please reproduce the problem within Windows and collect Acronis True Image log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon?

Please also make a screen shot of the error message which you get when you try to create an image file more than 2.5 GB.

We will try to investigate the issue with Argosy HD363N network attached storage drive and provide you with a solution.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread.
    Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. jmk94903

Hi Tatyana,

Thank you for the response. I discovered that using the TI 9 Build 3567 Recovery CD I could write an image to this Argosy NAS box.

It's so slow that I will probably not use it any more, so there's no need for me to pursue this with Tech Support.

Another forum member, Homer007, reported that the Buffalo LinkStation works well with Acronis True Image. It's a higher quality and faster device, and that's the direction that I'll go in.

Thanks as always for your attention.

By the way, there are lots of good things in Build 3567.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.