Are your networks ready for the cutover to IPv6?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I don't think cutover is the right word. It will be a gradual transition over many years, with end users seeing virtually no change. Let's not forget tons of appliances and servers simply not ready or ever tested or even compatible with ipv6. Encapsulation, emulation, side by side use. If html5 is going to take 10-12 years to transition, ipv6 will take 20 or more.
    Mrk

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Interesting ... I ran the tests they linked to, and found that (as suspected) I'm not v6 ready. I called my ISP, and the tech-support guy says that despite the panic-hype, they don't see a real need for the average home user to convert yet for probably another 5 years. Most web sites will almost certainly retain v4, or more likely, accept both protocols for quite a while yet, and the most likely effect visible to the end-user won't be the inaccessibility of some sites, but rather a reduced availability of dynamic IP's. His bottom line: "If it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it".

4. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Let's hope that things won't take that long...o_O

5. Mrkvonic

On the contrary, you do want them to take that long.
    Better slow than problematic.
    Mrk

6. sded

sded Registered Member

My ISP does not even support new users with IPv6, much less have a plan for cutover of the existing physical plant, whether with Toredo tunneling or o_O Even my Tomato firmware is not there yet. Ho hum, another doomsday warning.

7. guest

guest Guest

Too late, there will be problems and the whole transition just can't be smooth anymore. :(

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Can't Technology improve things so that we will not need decades?

9. Mrkvonic

The problem is not technology. The problem is that you must make sure nothing breaks. Think some bank or a financial institution or a medical facility running some solaris machine from 1994 or who knows what os. No one dares touch it or move or fix it, because no one knows what will happen.

Companies will prefer to let legacy stuff die than fix it. Home users are irrelevant here. Think big, cumbersome institutions that require 24/7 uptime and zero errors. They won't be easily moved to change, for all kinds of reasons. The change will happen when old stuff dies.

Mrk

10. guest

guest Guest

I don't really see the point of this analogy. Once the last IPv4 address is used, there will be simply no way for new users to connect. Very few IPv4 addresses remain unused - they can't hold the internet user-base huge annual growth.

That's why ISPs will start doing (if not already doing) "ugly" things in their networks, to prevent the ruin of their businesses. But they know that even distributed NAT is a temporary solution.

The transition to IPv6 is inevitable. Sadly, many of them simply delayed the IPv6 deployment to cut costs and maximize profits. But now they will be forced to hurry up.

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.infoworld.com/d/networking/yahoo-ipv6-upgrade-could-shut-out-1-million-internet-users-875

12. guest

guest Guest

One million users out initially seems big at first look, but in reality it corresponds to a very small percentage of the Yahoo internet users, less than 1% of them.

Sorry discontinued Windows users that browse Yahoo, the IPv6 compatibility is much more important.

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Has the Internet Run Out of IPv4 Addresses?

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

15. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

If you search the forum here, you should see a fork of Tomato that supports IPv6.
    Advanced Search term = tomato; user name = Searching_ _ _ ;)

[Chorus]It's the end of the web and you know it, but I feel fine![/Chorus] :D

Virtual hosting will become the main focus when IPv4 runs out.

16. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

17. Mrkvonic

All /8 segments need to be abolished and restructured.
    Force all companies to use internal networks.
    Mrk

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

20. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Re the "funeral" article by Lawson:

Interesting, because I'd asked a rep from my (local regional) provider about this, and his guess was the same, about 5 years. Presumably that means they've got a big enough block of IPs, relative to number of current subscribers, that they don't foresee any significant problem with dynamic IPs for a while yet. And most people I've talked to have agreed that restrictions in the availability of dynamic IPs will almost certainly be the first noticeable effect of the IPv4 situation.

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Article

22. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Bing to participate in World IPv6 Day by Stephen Shankland.​

23. axial

axial Registered Member

Switches too:

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/john-savills-windows-faqs/q-how-do-i-enable-jumbo-frames-.aspx

24. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I did the test using 2 different browsers on the same system and got a startling result. When I opened FF 3.6.13, I got 10/10 for my system (of course my ISP is not ready ... but that is not at all startling). I closed FF and opened Chrome 9 and I did not get an IPV6 address and the test indicated that the browser was blocking the test. Has anybody else tested more than one browser on a single system ? Also has anybody else had the browser block the test?

System: W7/32.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.