Are you using FreeRAM XP Pro 1.50?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Nov 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I’m not sure what it really meant by the reading I’ve got from my FreeRAM XP Pro… the color of LOAD changes from yellow into red and I’m anxious with this. As you know, as red may scare us a bit. :oops:

In your experience, what setting configuration can you recommend to fully utilized the usefulness of this tool? :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

it really doesn't work. try running with it and without and you might see.

3. Why not buy some RAM? Its almost free these days, and it works.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Right, buy the real stuff in stead of all these RAM softwares, that don't change anything. I tried those too in the past. Never saw or felt any improvement.
    512MB is the absolute minimum nowadays and you are better of with even more RAM for the next 3 years, like I did for my new computer : 2 x 1024MB.

5. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

These programs are crap (only O&O Clevercache really works)! You better uninstall it, to present problems. And like stated above, buy some extra ram if you got the money :)

6. Reve_Etrange

Reve_Etrange Registered Member

Right, all they do is allocating a bunch of memory and de-allocating it, so that you end up with a consecutive range of free memory. There's no magic here though, and the memory that has been freed comes from that of other programs, forcing the virtual memory manager to write stuff on disk so as not to lose anything. Consequence? Eveyrthing will need to be read back into physical memory when you next access it -- and it's costly in performance.
    It's pretty much like, you send home everybody in your office to have less noise, but you call back each employee when you need him/her..... If everybody is doing a real job (and if everything you run on your machine does sth useful), you just waste a h*ll of a time for virtually no gain.
    That's the big picture, and for some special cases it can be argued that it actually helps somewhat, but chances are it's not your case.

-RE

7. Cscampxp

Cscampxp Registered Member

uninstall it....i tried it myself but it doesnt work! like what the others said buy more memory. I uninstalled it....but there is no uninstall...so just delete the program coz it may have spyware.

8. sweater

Yes, I am planning to add some more RAM power on my pc as I am only using a 256MB RAM. As of now I'm not using my pc for heavy graphics and gamings...most of the time it was mainly use for office applications and surfing the web. ;)

Actually, I just love seeing the pie chart monitor of FreeRAM XP Pro as I can observe my actual available free rams and also on monitoring the loads and virtual memory and cpu usage of my pc. :cool:

9. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Well, on my W 98 SE machine I use sometimes AbpMon :
    http://www.iarsn.com/abpmon.html

I use its "Free Ram Slow Pass".

Or I use the same feature from TaskInfo :
    http://www.iarsn.com/taskinfo.html

I use that feature for example in this situation:
    I have closed down all running apps and then I have done an on-demand system scan with one of my scanners (for example Ad-Aware).
    Then I want to do a system scan with another scanner (for example SpyCop).
    If I don't want to reboot and close all apps again before doing that second scan, I first run a clean-up with IEClean and then I do the "Free Ram Slow Pass" with AbpMon ;)

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

This kind of program only slow down your computer, because the memory that they put the processes that aren't used in the memory, on the disk, so when we need that processes again, the system have to put them back to the memory and this is very slow...

If you have the Windows XP, this windows version have a good memory management...

11. sweater

Okay... from the advice and suggestions I got from most of the experts here or experienced users I then finally decided to uninstall and removed this program on my pc, as I am using an xp pro system maybe I don't need this. :doubt:

After removing this program in my pc I noticed a slight speed in my pc start-up. ;)

Tnx for the advice :cool:

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I think that you decided the best choise... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.