Are you sitting down, I left Norton

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Acadia, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Actually you probably are already sitting down if you are using a computer but anyway, one of the last Norton hold outs have left Norton (actually I was only using Norton for the last six months, having used NOD before that).

It’s a shame. If you can be objective about it, Norton is actually one of the better virus slayers out there. In the many PC Security websites that I frequent, the one objective AV testing site that is mentioned over and over again is that German one, I always forget its name, I think the word “bulletin” is in there somewhere; Norton is the only AV to have a perfect 100% score FOR THE PAST FIVE YEARS.

BUT, all that being said, I just switched from Norton to KAV because being “one of the better virus slayers” is about the only thing nice that can be said about Norton. Their tech support is pathetic, the program really slows down your system, too many folks are finding that it is a royal pain to remove from your pc, and having to purchase an entire new version every couple of years is too expensive (and if they are really going to put out a new version, how about making a truly new version that is smaller and faster, just witness NOD32).

I can remember five years ago when I got my first computer, Norton was winning awards for its tech support, folks were leaving McAfee in droves and coming to Symantec. Since then too many excellent AV alternatives have come into the scene with tighter written coding and much better tech support. If the day ever comes that these newer companies have approximately half the AV market like Norton now commands, these companies may also have lousy tech support because they too may not be able to keep up with their rapid growth, but for the time being you have to go where the better all-around products are. It really is a shame and if you consider nothing else, if you want a very good virus slayer, I can still recommend Norton (but they will have to change a few things to ever get me to come back). Everyone, take care.

Acadia

2. And I just installed the NIS 2005 trial

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Oops. :oops:

Acadia

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I can understand your decision to leave. Let me close my eyes a minute....hold on it is coming in real clear now yes....I see...wow lots of members...here at the wilders... yep sure enough...no wait they are not sitting down....wait... :eek: they are all standing up and cheering...look at all the celebration...I see KAV fans hugging and :-* NOD32 fans. I've never seen such die hard fans of their AV products about who is better NOD32 or KAV singing and chanting, "Acadia...Acadia...Acadia...." :D :D :D

I wonder how long it will last until the KAV vs NOD32 war starts back up. :D

Just having a little fun folks. Just having a little fun... take it for what it is ;)

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

That's ok, I'd feel fairly safe posting in a KAV/NOD war now, at least half the folks would be on my side ... do you realize what it was like participating in an anti-virus war as a Norton user ... :oops:

Acadia

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

ROFLMAO, oh well you develop a thick skin ;) :D

7. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Probably a bit like Randy Bell! :D

(Hi Randy!)

8. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Maybe this link will tell you how accurate that official ItW list is, because that DC++1.668 version I got from that link mentioned in here was infected with 3 trojan like nasties by Kaspersky, but still only Kaspersky is capable to detect them all just now after thousands of downloadings.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12475809~mode=flat~days=9999~start=20

File C:\WINDOWS\msodwo.exe infected by "Trojan.Win32.Krepper.ag"
    File C:\WINDOWS\gripo32.exe infected by "TrojanDownloader.Win32.IstBar.er"
    File C:\WINDOWS\cserv32.exe infected by "Trojan.Win32.Agent.ba"

This P2P program was there some 13 days available to download in certain cnet.com site, just imagine how many people have downloaded that infected proggie without a clue that it was not clean. Thanks to Kaspersky's and BitDefender's powerfull signature updates and unpacking capabilities, that infected program was detected yesterday in DSL Forums.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, it wasn't good for me either (EDIT:- I mean being an NAV user)

''Guy with Symantec logo enters stage......Refuses to leave.....Tomatoes oranges thrown....Later on guy realises error of his ways....switches to KAV or KAV-based..... and becomes popular.....everybody congratulates''

As for Symantec, here is something I learnt from one of my friends (kidding):-

"development team of about 5 guys.....sitting....two had call of nature.....They change the code slightly so logo now says 2005....New colors please paint job.... Adware detection...lets just leave it to consumers to report adware....developers release code they say is bug free....increasing reports of major bugs, registry garbage etc....1 bug is fixed and 2 minor ones are created....having no more known major bugs....they advertise programs....minor bugs become major ones....life goes on....."

Just my bit. As I said, I do not mean to demote ANYBODY.

Regards,
    Firecat

10. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Why would I want to sit to hear that, it's about time you left them :D
    I would rather have no protection then have Norton.

11. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hi Acadia, ;)
    I on the other would never again recommend Norton to anyone. I've been a Norton user for several years and when I uninstalled it, it became a real nightmare.:'(
    I've used Avast Pro, BitDefender Standard and now KAV Personal. These ones I would recommend, as well as NOD32.

All you've said above I experienced it too, like non-existent customer service and all the rest. :mad:

Finally you made it to our group.:p :D

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Not a good switch from NOD32 to NAV... :D

NAV support, install, uninstall, config, resources, etc... are all sucks!

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Actually, I only used Norton for six months, before that I had used NOD for two years; guess I ran away from home but came back. :D

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.