Are you secured? Take this questionaire (and post your score)

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by squash, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squash

squash Registered Member

2. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Passwords let me down a bit :doubt:

Attached Files:

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    I got 90%, and what probably lowered my score was the adult sites and p2p!
    Mrk

4. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

"Your Security Rating is Great (94%)!"

Not bad... :)

5. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

'Your Security Rating is Crap (3%)!'

J/K. 89%

6. dqa

dqa Registered Member

Hello

I got 86% for this. And a recommendation to use Windows automatic updates- in fact, I have it set to notify me, but I prefer to do the updating myself, so I answered "No" to the relevant question.

And, no doubt to my eternal shame in this august company, I still like to use MSIE.

Chris

;)

7. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Your Security Rating is Good (84%)!

8. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Your Security Rating is Good (85%)!

Windows Update did me in (It is disabled). :mad:

9. dog

dog Guest

My score :cool:

Attached Files:

10. Ardias

Ardias Registered Member

:)

Your Security Rating is Great (92%)!

11. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

It's obvious that getting a score less than 100% isn't a problem as long as you know WHY you lost points. In the area of security, being well informed is better than the protection you can get from ANY security application(s). In my humble opinion, of course.

12. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

84%, I guess that it because of WU and practices related to it.

13. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Same as dog :)

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

• 063.GIF
      063.GIF
      File size:
      5 KB
      Views:
  14. hotstuff

hotstuff Guest

I only got a 75%. :( But why don't they give the answers after you take the test so you can correct anything that needs it? Can anyone answer these questions this test left me with?

If I do use a limited account (currently use admin) can I still easily download new programs and get updates for programs I already have? How?

How do we disable the Guest account?

I don't have a login password. Protected or otherwise. Should I have one?

I don't have a Admin password, or a Start up password. Should I have one for each, and if so how do I set them up?

What is the best way to check your email? (I current use web based email that has anti-virus protection but I also have my own AV with realtime protection enabled.)

15. Capp

Capp Registered Member

16. Tassie_Devils

Hi Hotstuff

Login password.
    Settings/Control Panel and select User Accounts.

click on the Guest Account button [1] and then turn it off [2] when new window comes up [see pic of mine to turn it back on, as already off]

To create a Password, etc, simply click on your Admin account [3] to get options. Select "Create a Password" and fill it in [4]

Follow the instructions. :)

As for the email side of things, what is recommened is a third party app like Thunderbird, etc., there are heaps of others as they are more secure than OE or Outlook by MS.

Web-based is fine, provided that you have your own AV scanning all downloads, attachments in real time, but not recognised as secure as a 3rd party app.

To help with security in OE check your settings and make use you have it set to read as text and NOT in HTML format. [Should do that anyway, regardless of email client] see pic below.

HTH, Cheers TAS

Attached Files:

17. Tassie_Devils

Pic for OE Security setting.

TAS

Attached Files:

• 068.JPG
      068.JPG
      File size:
      57.7 KB
      Views:
  18. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Here's mine.....I don't do MS Updates...I don't hide behind a Router....don't need passwords (there's only me on it!) and something else I don't have but can't remember now cos I'm old and I don't care.....But I DO have everything else that really matters.... :D :D :D

Oh!...I remember now........I Use OE and M$IE and I just din't care none.... :D ;)

Cochise, :cool:

Attached Files:

19. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

20. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Your Security Rating is Good (76%). Not bad for a typical user :D

I liked the question "17. Is your computer performing slower than usual ?"
    I said NO, but I wanted to say YES, because my computer would work alot faster without all these security softwares.
    I have more security softwares, than softwares I need for working. Isn't that ridiculous ?

I'm sure my computer is pretty free of malware and two times a year, I reinstall my computer from scratch to get rid of all the possible malware that wasn't detected/removed by all my scanners.

I'm using AVG Free, not the very best AV, but NOD32 Trial, didn't find any malware on my computer either.
    All my other scanners don't find anything wrong. My HijackThis Log is also clean.
    So I don't care about my 76% as long my computer is clean.
    Believe me, I have more troubles with legitimate security softwares, than malwares on my computer.

Security is IMO an illusion and you only can make the risk of getting infected smaller, but the risk is always there.
    As I said before internet is a battlefield for brilliant brains, good and evil, and the smartest will always win the struggle.
    They attack everything nowadays and nothing surprises me anymore.

I'm certainly not a fan of the bad guys, but they did a pretty good job on the internet during all these years.
    The whole internet security industry and even this forum wouldn't exist without them.
    How crazy it may sound, but malware writers and anti-malware writers need eachother and both make alot of money.
    They both give jobs to many people and that is even better, because people need work and work means food on the table.
    Internet is in fact an ideal neverending situation and I don't think that neither the good guys, nor the bad guys are willing to change the internet into a completely safe internet, because of all that money and JOBS.
    It's not about conspiracy, it just evolved that way and I wouldn't be surprised that some people eat from both sides, after all some criminals give also money to charity work.

I have no problem with the actual internet, because life is nothing but a compromise between good and evil and internet is just another reflection of what happens in the real world. Live and let live is my motto
    Besides internet is a war without killing people and the weapons are only softwares and nobody is forced to have an internet connection.
    If you don't like the net or get tired of the net, pull the plug out of the socket. You don't need internet to have a better life.

What I don't like about malware/anti-malware is that it is based on "create and destroy" and that's a real pity.
    The result is always NOTHING and a WASTE OF TIME/TALENT and that's what bothering me the most.
    Malware writers create a new spyware and after awhile the anti-malware writers destroy that new spyware.
    It's like building a bridge and then destroy that bridge, resulting in having NOTHING and this doesn't happen just one time, but over and over again world-wide.
    The same happens with users : computer is clean - computer is infected - computer is de-infected - computer is clean.
    According my readings, some users wasted hours and even days to bring their computer from clean to back to clean.
    Isn't that absurd, if you think long enough about this ?

That is the main reason, why I can't get interested in anti-malware, it just doesn't fit in my personality.
    I joined boot camp at SWI to become a qualified helper, but I gave up. I just can't do this.
    Not even a "Thank you" of a saved victim wouldn't make me feel any better.

I prefer to be creative and my very first application is still running and exists already 18 years.
    That's the kind of work, I like to do and being proud, if an application was successfull.
    When I removed some malware on my computer, I'm never proud, only relieved. That is a total different feeling.
    Any job in the anti-malware world would make be depressive in no time.

I'm very happy that other people, don't have my attitude, because they taught me how to keep my computer clean.
    Without them, I wouldn't have an internet connection anymore.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  21. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I defiantly agree with this. Just because I have automatic updates disabled (because I like minimal services running) does not mean I am any less safe so as long as I manually check for updates every mouth. But I think this quiz is geared for towards the average computer user who does not know as much about security as most of the folks in a community like this. But anyway a lower score does not necessarily mean you really are not secure.

22. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

...me agree to on the last one... but it's nice and entertaining.

I LMAO with Squash btw :D

how you doing pal? :D

23. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Not bad....even though it's at the low end of "great", I'll take it.

I'm sure that Limewire probably didn't help my rating index out any (LOL)......

Attached Files:

24. Funny

Funny Guest

;) If one declares oneself Security Guru, one gets a higher score all the other things being equal !

If I declare I'm on Opera, I only get 93, but if I only change that one point to Mozilla et al, I get 97% (that makes me laugh, just see www.secunia.com)

This test is crap.

25. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If I say I'm a woman of 40+, I also get a lower rate :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.