Are you running Panda Cloud Antivirus Free?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Tyrizian, Apr 12, 2013.

?

Are you running Panda Cloud Antivirus Free?

1. Yes

9.1%
  2. No

75.8%
  3. I've thought about it, but not sure if I want to run it yet

7.6%
  4. I've never tried it before

7.6%
  1. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Just as the poll asks...

and if you are running it, what are your reasons?

2. Tyrizian

A simple Yes or No would have been better, sorry about the unnecessary extras.

3. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

No, for two reasons:
    1) the icon is annoying me at the tray
    2) it slowed taxed my CPU too much
    I might try it later on, see if those issues are fixed or not. For now however I found another AV to be much faster and less CPU intensive.

4. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

I'm typically an eset user on desktop computers, but I wanted something light to run on my laptop. Panda Cloud runs fairly light and scans quickly. Of course hardware and content discrepancies make this claim rather subjective, so do your own evaluation if your interested. I'm use to a more robust setting menu, which this anti-virus doesn't particularly offer. Its not to difficult to navigate, but the layout is a bit odd. For example, the proxy/connection check is a bit hidden. I only figured out where it was from an online demo video. Other than the aesthetics, I don't use the toolbar, but I did maintain the URL filter. Again the URL filter should be separate from the tool bar in future updates COUGH COUGH COUGH. Some of the earlier issues that I've had have been improved since the last update.

Minor issues (these may be unique to my system):
    - Periodically the anti-virus would perform incomplete scans and then terminate. Not sure what caused this, but it seems to have resolved itself.

- Are there Definition updates? Turns out this happens daily in the background, but the inability to track definition signatures like I do with eset was a problem for me. I've learned to deal with this, but would like to see something implemented in future updates COUGH COUGH!!

- The free version is suppose to show advertisements, but it seems my firewall may be blocking them. I've often wondered if this is why I'm seeing better performance compared to some other user reviews. Something to keep in mind maybe? Just a guess on my part.

5. Tyrizian

I remembered this issue being present in version 2.0, but has gone away in this latest release (From what I've heard).

6. Tyrizian

I agree, the URL filter needs to be separate from the toolbar, I honestly think this is why so many people haven't got it to work properly.

Tracking updates is a definite must...I agree

I was thinking about giving this another go, I've been experiencing problems with some free AV's lately and wanted to explore this one once again.

Hopefully, this can be a replacement for my previous real-time AV.

7. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Well it doesn't seem to be that light and stuff. It's detection rate isn't the top either so that's why I don't use it.

8. Tyrizian

I heard that the latest version is a lot lighter.

As for detection rate, I haven't put it to the test in quite a long time.

9. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

I can see detection being a deal breaker for some folks, but its not a particular concern of mine at the moment. Almost all of my school work is done through the browser and I've decided to save everything to the cloud. So for me detection rate is adequate for my needs. My only interest in detection is mitigating the spread of infection to others when I post documents in the shared section online of my blended course. I'm also not permitting the recovery of anything to the laptop itself. So if detection is a problem for other users, I can not argue that point. I don't particularly visit sites that are malicious and my current setup seems to block most of the drive-by infections that use to trigger eset from time to time. NoScript + Request Policy + Adblock Plus + Sandboxie.

I'd like to add that I've got a friends running the same setup anti-virus free. Alternatively, you could add VT hash checker on top of panda if you so incline. It slows the download process, but I didn't experience a resource hit with this setup. I've removed VT hash checker from my laptop simply because it got in the way of doing my online assignments.

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I don't think its needed with my current setup. :D

11. Tyrizian

Your setup is pretty strong, therefore I would have to agree with you

Panda is a great product and all...

But, It's like comparing a highly secured prison, to a house with just regular door locks :D

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

No, because I don't use any AV

My current setup

OA
    SBIE
    NVT ERP
    Appguard

13. Tyrizian

Very nice setup, I like it :thumb:

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahaha, i installed PCAV Pro in my uncles laptop. It's been like 8-10 months and he still have not called me . . . so its doing its job. :ninja:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  15. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

With all due respect peter but i personally think NVT and appguard are overkill.:cool:

16. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Ran it for a considerable amount of time on my netbook and took it off because of this.

17. No.

a) Using Linux for everything ATM
    b) Panda is killer with disk I/O on slow machines (i.e. everything I own)

18. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

No as I don't use any AV atm. However, I've used it in the past when it was first released as I really liked the concept of cloud-based AV. Back then, the automatic quarantine feature (not sure what it's like now) annoyed me though :p

19. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Hmmm good to know. Now if they align the tray icon with other icons in my windows 7 tray then it could be a keeper.

20. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

I used to use it, but it started causing delays on my old laptop. I've not had a challenge to my security in years that I didn't cause myself, so I'm running without an AV now.

21. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

No – although I did try Panda last year. (Version 2?)

Following installation – I opened the UI and was bombarded by a message box with 'Access Violation' PSUNConsole.dll – and like a conveyor belt gone banannas, this box kept repeating in a series of endless cascading tiles! It must have been taking full CPU as I couldn't close Panda, nor open Task Manager to kill it – (pulling the power plug out of the wall was tempting) - the only way to end this demented behaviour was to close each box faster than they could open (the screen was full of these damn 'boxes' by this time!) until I eventually got back to the main UI and clicked on the 'Exit' button!
    Nothing I tried made the slightest difference! Each time I opened the Panda UI – I got the same result – an endless series of message boxes!

That was it for me – I gave Panda the big heave ho!

22. encus

encus Registered Member

No, I don't trust Cloud.

23. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

No did not care for the product. Not enough user control and don't rely on the cloud only technique. Also, there were problems with the URL filter.

24. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I had it for some time. But in general NO as I don't want to use only cloud AV.

25. ght1

ght1 Guest

It's possible to set it to "ask before quarantine files" now. ;)

I'm wondering if the behaviour blocker is really working: I've never seen it in action and there was no user-dependent detection in AV-C. That's strange ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.